Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightning strikes twice; life sucks and is NOT fair!

Jim O'Young

(My apologies in advance to the moderators for posting this in the Bianchi Cup Forum, but this seems like the appropriate place for it.)

I absolutely dread posting in the Bianchi Cup Forum as it means that, once again, I am the bearer of bad news.

Yesterday, while spending a New Year's skiing vacation with her family, children & grandchildren, Vera Koo blew out her ACL. :(

As you all know, 2 years ago, Vera broke her tibia & fibula on the range a month before the 2013 Cup. Rather that feel sorry for herself, she got down to work and busted her ass to get healthy and strong so she could compete in the 2014 Cup, her 18th.

Well, I can tell you after our phone conversation, her positive attitude, energy and enthusiasm are as strong as ever. Although she will miss this year's Cup, she is scheduling her surgery and already formulating her recovery, physical therapy and practice plan to be ready for the 2016 Cup and World Match. The shock, denial and anger phases were not even a part of her mindset. In fact, she was glad it happened to her rather than her husband, Carlos.

The good news is that she is committed to compete in at least 20 Cups, which means that (barring muddy ranges & skiing accidents) she will grace the event with her presence through at least 2017 when she will be 70(!!) years old. :surprise:

Life is uncertain, isn't always fair and often deals us a bad hand (sometimes two of them). You can either play that hand or fold and go home. Vera chooses to play the hand that has been dealt and does so in a positive fashion. It is something that we can all take inspiration and learn from.

As in 2013, you can honor her by working hard and performing your best at this year's Cup.

I will let her know about this post, so if you would like to send her your well wishes and positive thought she will be able to see them here.

I am honored to call Vera my good friend and a part of our extended families.

Jim

Vera is one of the kindest, most gracious persons we know. She does not deserve this! But she has more guts and courage than a lot of men much bigger than she is. She will come out on top (again) in due time. That is her nature.

In the interim I would say to Vera, there are a lot of us praying for you and cheering for you. You have been a good friend to many, so you have many friends. We all wish you the very best and hope to see you in full health again soon. :)

• 1 month later...

Vera is a Legend in the female shooting history, she is one of the first Champions that I became friends with and that goes back to the 80's. She is the True Word of Class. I have seen her handle more than her share of medical injuries only to bounce back. I have visited with her and she will be back, look out Ladies.