Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help reduce muzzle flip

ihocky2

I am working with my wife's 4" XD 9mm to set up for IDPA and even some three gun. She has always had a little trouble being accurate with it and even when I shoot it I notice more muzzle flip than with any of my other guns. Out of my 1911 9mm the same load is a soft push, in the XD is definitely jumps more. Realistically even my 2011 .45 has less muzzle rise. I know the 1911's are metal guns with more weight so I think that is where a good portion of the problem is coming from.

My thoughts are first to add grip tape, I am wondering if the factory grip is too smooth and allows the gun to slip a little in my hand making it harder to control.

I am thinking about going to 1911 springs and the stainless guide rod for a little more weight. With the factory recoil spring my wife has to work to rack the slide, so I don't really want to make it any harder to rack the slide. What weight spring would most recommend to help keep the gun a little flatter?

Lighter spring, lighter loads with heavier bullets, heavier guide rod, magwell if legal. What kind of guide rod is in an XD? My XDM has the hollow guide rod that I was able to melt some lead into. Works very well with a lighter recoil spring and 130 PF loads.

What is the PF of the loads you are using? What bullets? Load some 147's over a small charge of fast burning powder such as TG, 320.

The lead in the factory hollow guide rod works well in my wife's XDm 5.25. Tungsten guide rod is slightly heavier but not worth the $80.

Try the lighter recoil spring and put some skate tape on the slide. It will make it much easier to rack.

147 gr bullets with N320 or clays should soften recoil.

Edited by Zoomy

I am running 147 gr. bullets already over 231. Since I want to use it for IDPA SSP I am limited to stainless steel for the guide rod and no mag well. These rounds make about a 130 PF. I am leaning towards the guide rod and lighter recoil spring. Can anyone recommend a good starting weight for the spring.

All great suggestions but honestly working on her grip is the real fix. My oldest daughter learned to tame the recoil well with practice on her grip. Scott Springers videos helped her to understand when we started.

I would not worry about power factors in IDPA (there are none).

14# recoil spring.

147 bullet over 2.6grn TG.

Grip tape on the side only. That way when she goes to draw her hand will slide right up to the beavertail.

Also use the largest backstrap she can comfortably handle. This changes the pressure points on the grip.

I don't think anything lighter than a 17lb spring is available for the 4" XD if I'm not mistaken. Of course, you would have to get a guide rod for it. Wolf sells calibration packs which include a 17lb, 19lb, and 21lb spring, so you can see which one works best.

Edited by grapemeister

• 3 weeks later...

"I would not worry about power factors in IDPA (there are none)."

Not quite true.

From the IDPA rulebook:

"

8.3. Ammunition

8.3.0.1. Metal piercing, incendiary, and tracer ammunition is prohibited.

8.3.0.2. Clubs may prohibit cartridges that may damage metal targets.

8.3.0.3. All ammunition must use a single projectile.

8.3.1. Ammunition Power

The goal is to compete with commonly available ammunition. The minimum power factors are:

8.3.1.1. SSP - 125

8.3.1.2. ESP - 125

8.3.1.3. CDP - 165

8.3.1.4. ESR - 165

8.3.1.5. SSR - 105"

You will probably never get chronographed in a level 1 (local) match.

Our club will chrono for level 2, especially if someone can't penetrate the reinforced rubber sheets on the bullet traps.

They DQed one guy shooting a revolver last year, when the PF was too low.

The last round, during the check, bounced off the bullet trap and hit the match director in the thigh.

He was not amused...until later of course when he got to tell the story...