Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel question

Iggy42

So I am seriously considering another XDm for USPSA Limited/3 gun instead of following the herd with a 2011. As I explore all my options I have come across 2 options, but I don't know the advantages/disadvantages of either choice.

Option 1: Gunsmith fitted aftermarket - Most likely Bar-Sto from Springer Precision

Option 2: Gunsmith refitted frame/slide/stock barrel - Done by Rich at Canyon Creek

I know both I can't go wrong with either smith, but I really would like to know what the advantages and disadvantages so I can try to figure out what is the best choice for me.

Before spending serious cash on barrels and slide/frame fits, I'd check out the OEM gun to see if its accuracy is within YOUR personal tolerances (in other words, will the gun shoot better than you're capable of?). That isn't an insult to your ability. Some factory guns are crazy accurate, especially the 5.25 guns. If you've got one that'll hold 2-3 inches at 25, it's likely accurate enough. If it won't, then the money spent on barrels and slide fitting will be worth it.

For me, I've found the most-needed areas are the trigger and then an extended mag release. Of course, for Limited and 3-G, you're going to be immediately adding a magwell and extended basepads for maximum capacity.

Before spending serious cash on barrels and slide/frame fits, I'd check out the OEM gun to see if its accuracy is within YOUR personal tolerances (in other words, will the gun shoot better than you're capable of?). That isn't an insult to your ability. Some factory guns are crazy accurate, especially the 5.25 guns. If you've got one that'll hold 2-3 inches at 25, it's likely accurate enough. If it won't, then the money spent on barrels and slide fitting will be worth it.

For me, I've found the most-needed areas are the trigger and then an extended mag release. Of course, for Limited and 3-G, you're going to be immediately adding a magwell and extended basepads for maximum capacity.

Appreciate the input, but I would like to know the advantages/disadvantages are with either option

IMO trigger job, mag release, magwell, and basepads are automatic - its just deciding whose products to use/have fitted where needed

Since I am thinking of going "all out" I am trying to figure out what options to go with, while keeping it as reliable as my current Limited XDm is.

Edited by Iggy42

Appreciate the input, but I would like to know the advantages/disadvantages are with either option

IMO trigger job, mag release, magwell, and basepads are automatic - its just deciding whose products to use/have fitted where needed

Since I am thinking of going "all out" I am trying to figure out what options to go with, while keeping it as reliable as my current Limited XDm is.

After watching a few of your video links it seems you shoot your XDm pretty well already and I don't know if it would be worth the $ for a different barrel.

Springer sells a bunch of goodies that you can install yourself or just send it to him. Plus, he's one of the most helpful I seen on these threads when we run into problems.

After watching a few of your video links it seems you shoot your XDm pretty well already and I don't know if it would be worth the $ for a different barrel.

Springer sells a bunch of goodies that you can install yourself or just send it to him. Plus, he's one of the most helpful I seen on these threads when we run into problems.

Thanks

My plan is to build another XDm and keep what I have as a backup gun, hence why I am exploring barrel options. One of those, while your at it deals.

Thanks

My plan is to build another XDm and keep what I have as a backup gun, hence why I am exploring barrel options. One of those, while your at it deals.

IMHO, the factory XDm barrel, running the right ammo, should be fine for 3gun and Limited.

Check out this audio link. http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/PracticalPistolShow/~3/mNbpzABov5s/decentpistol.mp3

Before spending serious cash on barrels and slide/frame fits, I'd check out the OEM gun to see if its accuracy is within YOUR personal tolerances (in other words, will the gun shoot better than you're capable of?).

+1 And if it's not, try other ammo until it is. Factory barrels shoot better than most shooters.

Before spending serious cash on barrels and slide/frame fits, I'd check out the OEM gun to see if its accuracy is within YOUR personal tolerances (in other words, will the gun shoot better than you're capable of?).

+1 And if it's not, try other ammo until it is. Factory barrels shoot better than most shooters.

+2

After watching a few of Eric's video's the pistol play seems to be just fine.

Certainly he'll be shooting 40 major loads for USPSA then some 40 minor for the 3-gun stages.

+2

After watching a few of Eric's video's the pistol play seems to be just fine.

Certainly he'll be shooting 40 major loads for USPSA then some 40 minor for the 3-gun stages.

The XDm I ran all year (the one that appears in the YouTube videos) would not be the one worked on. I am looking at a new build and am considering an aftermarket barrel, or a frame/slide/barrel refit as part of the build. The gun I have been using runs really well as it so I am reluctant to change anything about it, so it would become my backup pistol.

The frame/slide/barrel refit is part of the package Rich at Canyon Creek offers, that is what drove me to ask about the advantages or disadvantages of that will all stock parts v an aftermarket barrel fit by a gunsmith. With all the trouble steel gives me I am looking to eek as much accuracy out of the gun as I can. I know most of the problem is me - I get in a rush an don't get proper sight alignment - but I have had cases where I knew I was on and still missed.

I set up an XDM for Action Pistol shooting, with accuracy in mind. TGO told me to have the barrel welded up in lieu of buying another barrel. I am very happy with my factory barrel crowned, welded up, and refit by Rich at Canyon Creek.....

DougC

I set up an XDM for Action Pistol shooting, with accuracy in mind. TGO told me to have the barrel welded up in lieu of buying another barrel. I am very happy with my factory barrel crowned, welded up, and refit by Rich at Canyon Creek.....

DougC

Thanks Doug

I would be lying if I didn't say I wish you were still producing ammo. You sent me some samples awhile ago and I really liked it

I have the "match" barrell the XDM 5.25 comes with, for what that is worth. I have shot 2" groups at 25 yards standing off hand with it. With Precisoin 147's and 3.7 WSF, Black and Blue 125 TC 3.6 TG or 3.9 BE.

I did buy the pistol through Springer Precision and like the trigger job very much. But a barrell is not something I would change; at least not with the results I'm getting. You may have different results, but as suggested above, I would see how it shoots first.

Edited by nwhpfan