Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first stipple job

Gunnar897

I recently purchased an SV that had a stock grip. I have had several guns with stippled grips, but have never done one myself. I have another grip that someone over under cut the grip and it is thin. So thin you can feel the mag as you insert or drop out the mags. I plan to do a silicone carbide grip on it hoping it will strengthen the grip. I will post those pictures later.

I have to say a stock grip was somewhat slippery compared to a freshly stipple grip.

post-12391-0-89164800-1419424882_thumb.j

Edited by Gunnar897

I recently purchased an SV that had a stock grip. I have had several guns with stippled grips, but have never done one myself. I have another grip that someone over under cut the grip and it is thin. So thin you can feel the mag as you insert or drop out the mags. I plan to do a silicone carbide grip on it hoping it will strengthen the grip. I will post those pictures later.

I have to say a stock grip was somewhat slippery compared to a freshly stipple grip.

Looks nice and aggressive. Watch out, you'll have your friends asking you to do their's!!

Jumped right into it after reading a little.

I taped off the smooth areas before sanding and left it on through the process. I sanded the original grip down to get as flat a surface as possible, but not smooth. I figured this would allow the most uniform spacing as I didn't want the tip of the soldering iron to get pushed off from where i wanted it to go. I started with the perimeter and then did vertical rows. I had to take a razor knife and pick out the tape that ended up under the freshly melted grip surface.

Things to think about-

• don't go too fast
  • you really don't have to go very deep at all
  • if you mess up you can fix it by reshaping the area(I would strongly suggest avoiding this if possible. The grips aren't that thick to begin with)
  • I used a blunt solder tip. There are several wood burning kits that have different tips that produce all kids of surfaces. I think most GS's use a flat round tip
  • if you don't have a practice piece start on the front under the trigger guard(less noticeable)
  • don't be afraid to try it. Its pretty easy

• 2 weeks later...

It looks really good. I alway practice on an ar grip. That way I can try different sizes and textures before I start on a 2011 grip.

I didn't have anything extra to practice with. I just hoped for the best and went for it. I was a little nervous but in hindsight it was pretty easy. Just don't go too deep and don't stay in one spot for very long.

So, I was originally gonna keep my mouth shut, because it is so hard to convey tone over the internet. And because I am by no means an "expert". and because I don't have an example of that golf ball (larger) style stipple on hand at the moment. However I then realized that a huge part of what the gunsmithing forums are about is learning and I learned from another guy on the internet, and basically pay it forward...

It looks ok.. but its pretty rough... However if it is comfortable and helps you get a better grip then it really doesn't matter what it looks like. I also want to commend you for even trying, 90% of others would never even attempt it, so for that I say great job! That being said here are some things I learned early on. I of course practiced on P mags and a few other things before I hit a glock frame, so I knew a little bit of what to expect.

Here was my first frame I ever did... please keep in mind I shot these photos 10 sec ago on my lap from my phone as I type this from my poorly lit corner of my office, so bear with me, but the photos should give you an idea.

8C935A6C-E460-47AC-A8FC-36948DEEACD8_zps

And Here

67130791-25D3-4115-9D83-5B331BB3ED8C_zps

So what I learned was this:

1. take your time

2. Well ventilated space... seriously not even close to kidding (or wear a resp)

3. take your time

4. When you press the tip in go to the same depth each time.

5. Our eyes are drawn to straight lines... it is just about impossible to get perfectly straight lines by hand, so don't do it. It is also even more tedious which makes mistakes more prevalent. Instead pick an area maybe 1.5 x 1.5 CM and fill it with random stipples. This will keep the eyes from focusing on one area and in turn actually make everything seem more uniform.

6. take your time (I'm serious, take breaks, do it in chunks)

7. If it is a glock, take the time to undercut the trigger now, its worth it

That all being said, great job, and I hope you give it a go on other guns... Each one gets better and better!

Edited by mulrick

So, I was originally gonna keep my mouth shut, because it is so hard to convey tone over the internet. And because I am by no means an "expert". and because I don't have an example of that golf ball (larger) style stipple on hand at the moment. However I then realized that a huge part of what the gunsmithing forums are about is learning and I learned from another guy on the internet, and basically pay it forward...

It looks ok.. but its pretty rough... However if it is comfortable and helps you get a better grip then it really doesn't matter what it looks like. I also want to commend you for even trying, 90% of others would never even attempt it, so for that I say great job! That being said here are some things I learned early on. I of course practiced on P mags and a few other things before I hit a glock frame, so I knew a little bit of what to expect.

Here was my first frame I ever did... please keep in mind I shot these photos 10 sec ago on my lap from my phone as I type this from my poorly lit corner of my office, so bear with me, but the photos should give you an idea.

8C935A6C-E460-47AC-A8FC-36948DEEACD8_zps

And Here

67130791-25D3-4115-9D83-5B331BB3ED8C_zps

So what I learned was this:

1. take your time

2. Well ventilated space... seriously not even close to kidding (or wear a resp)

3. take your time

4. When you press the tip in go to the same depth each time.

5. Our eyes are drawn to straight lines... it is just about impossible to get perfectly straight lines by hand, so don't do it. It is also even more tedious which makes mistakes more prevalent. Instead pick an area maybe 1.5 x 1.5 CM and fill it with random stipples. This will keep the eyes from focusing on one area and in turn actually make everything seem more uniform.

6. take your time (I'm serious, take breaks, do it in chunks)

7. If it is a glock, take the time to undercut the trigger now, its worth it

That all being said, great job, and I hope you give it a go on other guns... Each one gets better and better!

Thanks Mulrick. It is rough as it was the goal. I agree that a running bond would produce a more aesthetically pleasing appearance and would actually be easier than trying to keep straight lines.

Like the original one, SV, it has traction, the whole Idea of stippling! IMO

the gloch looks nice but doesn't appear to have much traction though probably hard to tell from the photo.

I've felt and shot guns with the pretty nice looking smooth stipples and don't FEEL the point but they do look nice

both are done in the eye of the be HOLD er so they're great of those folks

Well done Gunnar

Edited by jcc7x7

Yep!!! like I said, if it works the way you intended than it's perfect!!

The glock in the picture is pretty grippy, it actually kinda leaves your hands raw after a pistol match.

I did another one on a carry gun that I ended up sanding down to get a little slicker because it would snag my shirt and print really badly. A lot of the grippyness comes from the angle of the soldering iron.