Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving to open - which platform to go?

Rescator

I've been planning to move to open. I just wonder which platform might be the best to go? I have tested SV IMM and it is awesome as is Tanfoglio's gold customs. I have heard nothing but good of Brazos Customs but never been able to test them - obviously those exist only in US or at least none of the peolple I shoot with have those (I live in Europe).

Some of buddies have suggested to build a completely custom gun based on SV or STI frame and slide. It might be the way to go, taking on to consideration availability of parts and the knowhow. But how do you guys see which way to go?

My guns for Open, Limited, and L10 are all Para Ordnance and I really like them. But if I were starting from scratch, I would probably go with an STI/SV platform. There is just so much stuff out there for them and lots of great smiths to build them. You can really shop around and get the perfect gun for you.

SV or STI. They have the best magazines, by far. Don't mess with the bottom of the trigger guard till you find how the gun points for you. And if you get a TruBore barrel/comp, you won't have to ever worry about bullets striking your compensator and throwing your shots off by 12" at 20 yards...

Caspian mags are more prone to feed lips bending, and they are scarce. Once you dial them in though, they will just about never ever malfunction on you. Best 170mm mags in my opinion. Of course you have to weld one out of 2 mags...

Para mags in Open are a frequent cause of malfunctions. Also Para has a QC issue with drilling the pin holes in consistent locations at the back of the frame. Which means every [good] Para trigger job is a custom one-of-a-kind, not drop-in.

PS - 5" slide Open guns move less in recoil and give you, the shooter, less to accomplish in between shots. I like them better than shorty guns.

I second the SVI plaform because of the magazines. They are far superior than any other mag I've seen, and mag reliablity if super important. IF what Travis says about Caspian making a new mag that is comparable to the quality of a SVI mag I might consider going that way when I needed a new gun.

I really like Tangfolios but all things being equal they don't have the capacity and here in the states there aren't a lot of smiths and part for them. I had a open gun for awhile and it was simply awesome, fit and function, but the mags were garbage, so I sold it.

• 2 weeks later...