Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore sync and "old' device ID's

Vlad

Does anyone have a trick for telling practiscore to forget the old devices IDs? Problem I'm running into is that I sync all devices from the master at the match, when I get home and try to pull it, the stage devices come online in a different order and it takes me multiple random resets, reconnects, refreshes to get all the device synced up again

Any hints?

Which version are you running?

Hmm .. recent-ish? I think is it 1.2.22.

I did DHCP reservations on my home router and mobile router so all devices were always assigned a consistent IP address. This might help you a bit.

I may have to do that. My mobile router is all these nooks every connect to, so I could hard wire their IP's. However it seems to me that it is the device ID that it is confusing things (0A2* stuff) or is that somehow bound to the IP of the device.

Vlad...The Practiscore Sync code is created based on the IP address the device is assigned. If you use DHCP reservations, then those devices will get the same IP address every time and the Practiscore sync code will be the same every time on the devices. They will be unique per device since no two devices will get the same IP address.

Edited by Mark R

Hmm .. recent-ish? I think is it 1.2.22.

All you should have to do is tap Refresh on the sync screen once you're on the home network and PractiScore will refresh the device list. I think 1.2.24 introduced filtering/hiding based on network SSID.

If you're struggling with obsolete devices and don't mind helping us with some pre-release testing, please email support@practiscore.com

1.2.25 already has a few improvements around sync, device tracking and filtering, including explicit option to remove devices. Though as Zack said, 1.2.24 shows devices for the current wifi ssid.

I don't want to start a new thread, but the comment regarding 'Obsolete devices' made me think to post this here.

We have Android and we have IOs devices running Practiscore. Nooks are obsolete. IOS is expensive and fragile. Why no a Windows version that could run as one across platforms, Tablets and laptops? Just asking as what I know about computer programing can be written on the head of a pin with a magic marker

By obsolete I was referring to devices with either changed id's or devices that are not on the scanned network anymore.

BTW, to make it more interesting, apple devices are not visible for a scan if they don't have PS app running on the screen, including when screen is off or device is locked. Basically that is the main reason why not found devices are not removed automatically. Another reason to keep them is wifi networks with a partial range coverage that don't see all devices from everywhere.

Basically the goal is to keep devices saved, so you don't need to run scan after devices are discovered at the start of the match.

Question. Why would you want it on a laptop? Who's going to use a laptop on a stage? (We already have a scoring system that runs on a laptop...)

A windows tablet, on the other hand, would be interesting but certainly no cheaper than an iPad mini.

If you're struggling with obsolete devices and don't mind helping us with some pre-release testing, please email support@practiscore.com

1.2.25 already has a few improvements around sync, device tracking and filtering, including explicit option to remove devices. Though as Zack said, 1.2.24 shows devices for the current wifi ssid.

I'll shoot you an email, but I'm not running a match for the next two months so I won't be a good beta tester.

Here is what happens, I use the same devices and the same portable router at home and at the range. After I have everything configured on the master device I power on the stage devices and from each of them I pull the data from master. This mostly works fine. When I get home I turn on the same router (not connecting on my home network), then turn on the master and the stage devices, and from the master I attempt to pull the data from the other devices. The problem seems to be that the master remembers the device ID's from the morning, and but the devices come up with different device ID's depending on which one connected first or in what order. My sync screen shows me things like '0A22 Stage 1" because in the morning that was Stage 1's device device ID, but now the same device is actually 0A23 or whatever. Hitting refresh SOMETIMES works and sometimes doesn't. Some times it will give me an entry for both ID's and I can pick the correct one to pull from, but sometimes I can't get the device to be found at all. If I reset and restart devices enough times I can eventually get them to work, but it isn't deterministic, or at least not for me.

I think I'll try assigning them IPs in the router. Is the "device ID" somehow linked to their actual IP?

Question. Why would you want it on a laptop? Who's going to use a laptop on a stage? (We already have a scoring system that runs on a laptop...)

A windows tablet, on the other hand, would be interesting but certainly no cheaper than an iPad mini.

Not saying I'd use a Laptop on a stage, I wouldn't, but I could use it as a master instead of having to buy an IPad. And windows tablets are getting cheaper as there are a lot of manufacturers out there, not just one for Apple.

Jim. Didn't you say you're running 1.2.21 on android and iOS 8.1.x syncs with it fine?

I am and I have not had issues yet. (Don't jinx me please) I have named each device so I am not looking for 0A23 but rather OBCATS 1, OBCATS 2 etc. that never changes regardless of the other IDs seems to work, but I know next to nothing about computers

I'll shoot you an email, but I'm not running a match for the next two months so I won't be a good beta tester.

You don't have to use a real match for testing and can just play with it on one of the spare devices to see how it interacts with the rest of your tablets and routers...

Here is what happens, I use the same devices and the same portable router at home and at the range. After I have everything configured on the master device I power on the stage devices and from each of them I pull the data from master. This mostly works fine. When I get home I turn on the same router (not connecting on my home network), then turn on the master and the stage devices, and from the master I attempt to pull the data from the other devices. The problem seems to be that the master remembers the device ID's from the morning, and but the devices come up with different device ID's depending on which one connected first or in what order. My sync screen shows me things like '0A22 Stage 1" because in the morning that was Stage 1's device device ID, but now the same device is actually 0A23 or whatever. Hitting refresh SOMETIMES works and sometimes doesn't. Some times it will give me an entry for both ID's and I can pick the correct one to pull from, but sometimes I can't get the device to be found at all. If I reset and restart devices enough times I can eventually get them to work, but it isn't deterministic, or at least not for me.

Right. The 1.2.25 is tracking devices with changed sync ids and renames/updates them in the saved device list (assuming they all are visible). 1.2.24 was not doing that, so your "sometimes works" was when updated devices took over of the saved device sync ids.

I think I'll try assigning them IPs in the router. Is the "device ID" somehow linked to their actual IP?

Yes, the sync code is derived from ip address.

Another option is to increase the DHCP lease time, so devices would retain the same ip address longer.

Not saying I'd use a Laptop on a stage, I wouldn't, but I could use it as a master instead of having to buy an IPad. And windows tablets are getting cheaper as there are a lot of manufacturers out there, not just one for Apple.

...and you don't want to use Android as a master device because?

On the subject of syncs, do both devices have to be in the 'Sync With Other Devices' menu to see each other?

If yes? Is there a reason that the Sync Code does not appear at bottom for iOS? It appears under the Sync menu, just not at the lower 'sync with other devices' menu.

There is a way to run the Android operating system 4.4 on a laptop.

I have a bootable USB drive that I plug into the computer and start it.

It brings up the laptop to a screen that looks like an Android tablet.

The keyboard works fine. The mouse works fine. The laptop needs wireless to work.

Practiscore is easy to load. Rotation is not locked for different modes, but the rotation locker app fixes that.

It is easier to key in names with a key board.

It is also possible to transfer the files to a different usb drive as an csv file

The files and info to do this are on this link.

http://www.android-x86.org/

I ran into the same issue this last time after updating to 2.2.24. Finally realized what was happening and got the last one syncd.

I use my personal 7" android tablet for all the work before and after the match and the Nooks are just for scoring. I would rather spend the club money on more steel, etc than higher cost i- things so Android will be it for us. I will be getting someones old iPhone 5S soon so I could use it I guess- would rather not though.

Don't we all love those opinionated posts without any real explanation or specifics?...

I wasn't talking to you and as I made perfectly clear to you in private, prefer to not deal with you at all, but since you insist, it's very simple. iOS creates the uspsa upload file for activity credit reporting. YOUR VERSION DOESN'T!!! Then there's fit, finish, polish, reliability, testing, all of which iOS has, and which YOUR VERSION OFTEN LACKS!!!

DON'T TALK TO ME, EUXX!!!! We'll all (you, me, everyone) be happier for it.

Edited by wgnoyes