Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore sync and "old' device ID's

Vlad

Like I said, opinionated and no specifics... Compare this rant with another member's review of Fire HD6 device.

Besides, USPSA is only one of the match types supported by Practiscore, not everyone need or care about it, but posting activity report and scores is actually in the hands of USPSA. I spoke with President, NROID and some AD and from what I can see it is not a priority for them.

Edited by euxx

Like I said, opinionated and no specifics... Compare your rant with another member's review of Fire HD6 device.

Besides, USPSA is only one of the match types supported by Practiscore, not everyone need or care about it, but posting activity report and scores is actually in the hands of USPSA. I spoke with President, NROID and some AD and from what I can see it is not a priority for them.

I gave specifics, one of which you just quoted. You chose not to read them. I REPEAT, DON'T TALK TO ME, I DON'T WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!!!

Bill, Why don't you just put euxx on 'ignore' if you don't want to see what he writes? That way you won't have to read his posts and we won't have to see your posts ranting at him.

I for one am very happy that a handful of people have taken the time to create a scoring platform that covers just about any possible Actin Shooting Sport, Steel Challenge, USPSA, IPSC, IDPA, Multi-Gun and probably Cowboy and made it available for FREE. Are there problems? Sure, but noe so far are show-stoppers and it keeps getting better. Are there differences between IOs and Android platforms? Yup! and being about as computer literate as any 60+ guy with a 3rd grade education I admit, I don't have a real deep understanding of why all the platforms can't look the same, but I equate it to a Chevy engine and a Ford Engine, they will both do the job, but the parts aren't interchangeable even if the theories are the same.

Since I do use the Android version for everything I do have to go through the steps for EZ to upload but I just do that later at home. I am able to upload the scores to Practiscore almost immediately and honestly think that is all the shooters care about. Most of them go there for the scores rather than the USPSA site anyway since a local match the shooters often want to see the combined scores anyway.

Will give it a try when I switch to an iPhone I guess.

So first match on the books and Practiscore was a big success. The Nooks worked great but the only issues I had were all synch related.

1. The Nooks all saw each other but couldn't see the iPad on initial synch. Typing in the synch code worked.

2. On post match synch, when I tried to synch with 1 of the Nooks, the iPad froze on the 'retrieving match info' text after you select it to Pull. Cycling that Nook's wifi seemed to fix this issue after it dropped off the list and then reappeared.

I'm really looking forward to the next release so these synch issues can be addressed.

What are priorities for them? I can see uploading these files as a high priority for all match directors, myself included.

Zack, well perhaps try to bring it up with your AD...

You didn't answer my question :). I'm fortunate in that I have an iPad so I can generate everything I need for my steel challenge matches without using EzSteel. I do understand the frustration from those that have all Android devices and have to use a combination of PractiScore and EzWinscore to upload results. I also recognize that you're a volunteer programmer and you're doing this on your own time and for that we all thank you.

I wonder...

would it be wrong to ask someone that knows to post sort of a hierarchy of who's Who with Practiscore?

Obviously there are some divisions of labor and responsibility here that may be causing some misunderstandings as to why certain things are the way they are.

We have two different operating systems that work on multiple machines, some better than others with mostly the same, but some different features.

Maybe this is out there and we (OK, Me, I) don't know where it is. If it is, point me to it. It might help to get questions asked of hte proper person with regard to the platform in use.

Then again, I could be wrong.

I know that from my perspective, PS works very well using an IPad as the Master and Nooks as data collectors. In the past I had to use a laptop and import/exprt back and forth and needed EzWin for the activity report. With the IPad I don't need that hassle any more. We don't post our scores anywhere except on our own website so that is not an issue for us. I realize others do post to PS and also USPSA. I also realize that we only use this for Steel, USPSA and Points Plus 3-Gun, but that about covers it, OK IDPA has maybe a few different issues, I don't know, I don't play that game.

Anyway. THANK YOU! Friday night I had the scores done in a matter of less than 5 minutes after the last shot was fired. If I had connections I could have posted the scores within 10 minutes of the last shot. This is simply awesome!

Jim

It may worth to mention that iOS and android apps are two completely separate aplications, due to the platform differences. For the same reason it doesn't make sense to me to make Android app to look like iOS. It is plain wrong and look ugly to any Android user.

Also, Ken drives all iOS app features based on the user's demand, but also needs for the matches he is running himself or been invited to as a stats guy. I'm trying to do the same to certain extent for Android app, for matches I'm running or ROing myself, but given that I'm in Canada, my needs can be different. So, any help with testing for Android app makes a big difference.

My brother has established a mantra, Information, Communication, Cooperation.

So I have now received 'Information' as it has been 'Communicated' and I will look at running my next match on two separate nooks per stage, one for the whole match and one just for my squad using the current release I am running without issue and also the 1.2.25 beta. We shall see how they compare and if I have any issues

My brother has established a mantra, Information, Communication, Cooperation.

So I have now received 'Information' as it has been 'Communicated' and I will look at running my next match on two separate nooks per stage, one for the whole match and one just for my squad using the current release I am running without issue and also the 1.2.25 beta. We shall see how they compare and if I have any issues

I have been scooping up used Nooks to build my own fleet of testing devices. My plan is to do like you are thinking - score the match twice - once with NST running latest release and once with current beta build. Fortunately we have enough people at our steel challenge match that I'm sure I'll find enough volunteers to score the match twice. I'll do this as long as it doesn't slow things down. It's on thing to do testing at home in your living room and another when you're at the range and not in a controlled environment.

It may worth to mention that iOS and android apps are two completely separate aplications, due to the platform differences. For the same reason it doesn't make sense to me to make Android app to look like iOS. It is plain wrong and look ugly to any Android user.

Also, Ken drives all iOS app features based on the user's demand, but also needs for the matches he is running himself or been invited to as a stats guy. I'm trying to do the same to certain extent for Android app, for matches I'm running or ROing myself, but given that I'm in Canada, my needs can be different. So, any help with testing for Android app makes a big difference.

Eureka! Yes, I can see how clubs north of the border don't have a pressing need to upload classifier files to USPSA. :roflol:

I now understand the "parallel but different" evolution of the IOS and Android versions.

For my fellow USPSA stats guys, I'll make two observations.

1) Submitting classifiers to USPSA is a whole lot easier if you can avoid using EZWinScore, especially if you don't have internet access at the range.

Apple seriously pissed me off in the late 70's (either Jobs, Markulla or both are to blame) so it chaps my hide to give them any money. But doing classifier reports the long way with android-to-ezwinscore also chapped my hide. I picked up a NIB 1st generation Ipad Mini 16gig wifi thru Walmart.com for $219 and use it to submit classifier reports, and sometimes as the Master tablet (prefer the display on my 10" android tablet).

2) You can pick up a good bluetooth keyboard for $40 or less if you shop around. I picked up an HP k4000 on sale at Best Buy for $20. The Ipads and almost all of the android tablets will work with them. For use on your master tablet, it's definitely worth the money.

Well, a real eureka is that USPSA know all this and they have several options to choose from, including import of psc files, pulling from PS web site or getting someone to implement their legacy export file formats. Other shooting organizations been more pro-active, as far as I know.

I happen to be an IPSC Ontario web master and while back it took me at most 4 hours to get import of the match results from practiscore match export file into the Ontario match system.

But it seem easier to just let members to buy hardware. You can live with that or you can ask your organization for a better service to its members and show some real support to the project you guys like. At least I have tried...

Sorry if the above sound emotional. It isn't. Also, all that are my own opinions and have nothing to do with Ken's company NiftyBytes or other people working on Practiscore.

Edited by euxx