Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Swage Rod Material?

The finest bumpers, carefully melted by skilled Chinese factory workers.

Seriously though, I don't know. It seems to only be surface hardened though, and the hardening isn't always very consistent. I've had some rods wear out very quickly and others last much longer.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the expander portion of mine milled off and the machinist had no issue trimming it down. He did note that it was not very straight though with enough runout to make it difficult to stay even with the lower portion of the rod. Looked like a hot dog in the lathe chuck when it spun.

Edited by pmclaine

Swage rod vs shellplate ... shell plate loses. Though I have had both of them destroy each other at the same time once.

Never cycle with the head off!

Dooooood. I did this once and bent the heck out of my shell plate.

I can't believe I did it again yesterday. This time was even stupider. I set the toolhead on the ram but I didn't put the bolt in right away. I set the shellplate nut finger tight and was going to adjust the tension jogging with the toolhead on. I jogged the press and the toolhead flew 2 feet into the air, the shellplate partially indexed, and the swage rod crashed hard into the shellplate, bending it up 1/4th inch.

Anyone want to buy 6 damaged #3 shellplates? :)

On the plus side I must have gotten the rare "properly hardened" Dillon swage rod, because it surprisingly wan't damaged this time.

Edited by gigs