Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advice needed - put 9mm cone barrel in my 10mm limited

wscottstewart

I picked up a 9mm witness limited barrel, put it in my 10mm limited frame & slide. It shoots accurately but I have cycling issues.

It stovepipes every 4 rounds +/-

I have tried several springs including the spring from my match 9mm without much change.

I realize this could be the extractor, but seems unlikely to me compared to the spring. (Could be wrong)

What spring rates should I try before giving up on fitting this barrel.

Thanks in advance

So far, I've just tested factory federal and win white box 9mm. 10mm base gun is fine with light factory loads & 9gr longshot with various 180 grain bullets. Gun is pretty new. Got used but was near new. I would guess around 1000 rounds or less. I've shot approx 200 - 250 10mm rounds

Yes slide seems free by hand movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wscottstewart

You are using a 10mm breech face with a smaller 9mm case, the case can slide out from under the extractor hook. The only thing you can do is get the extractor to apply more pressure to hold the case to the breech face until the case hits the ejector. Even then it may not be 100% reliable.

Rich

You are using a 10mm breech face with a smaller 9mm case, the case can slide out from under the extractor hook. The only thing you can do is get the extractor to apply more pressure to hold the case to the breech face until the case hits the ejector. Even then it may not be 100% reliable.

Rich

Yes I'm aware of that. However in many manufactures this is theoretical not fact. In some of them the two breech faces are exactly the same. So does any of you know this to be the case that these two guns are really different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people on here are running 9mm barrels in their .40's with (I thought) decent success. Ask kneelingatlas.

So can you take a 9mm case, slide it up the breech face under the extractor, and see if it is holding in there with some force? If not you can file the "foot" of your extractor down just a tiny bit until it does.

The foot is the square nub sticking out right behind the extractor blade:

PR08.jpg