Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do I need to know to to switch from 38 super to 9mm

Glock34Guy83

To answer you original question, you will need different barrel since chamber dimentions of 9 mm and 38 super are different, possibly different extractor and ejector. Barrel will need to be fitted/timed to the slide which usually require competent gunsmith to do it. It will probably cost $ 1000 to do the job ( the person who made my gun quoted me 2K to do it). Advantage of 38 super this days is easier access to suitable powder. Picking up the brass during practice sessions helps me think about my mistakes ;)

In my humble opinion, most important quality of the open gun is reliability. Once you start shooting with the competitive crowd you will not want to worry about your gun jamming on the first stage ( or in your case blowing in your face because misaligned bullet got pushed into the case little deeper).

With regards,

ARK

Edited by ARK

I would NOT shoot 9 mm through my 38 super gun especially at MAJOR pf... It can be done ( apparently) however, I would not. This is not what the gun is designed for. Get some 38 super brass and join the brass picking community.

Want to share some of your brass? I will be glad to pay for shipping. Haha

I would NOT shoot 9 mm through my 38 super gun especially at MAJOR pf... It can be done ( apparently) however, I would not. This is not what the gun is designed for.

Of course you should not, if you don't like the idea, but it works like a charm, and many people, myself included, have done that. And A LOT.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have SV mags you won't need spacers. Although, there is a very slim chance that this could be an easy job. To fit a new barrel you will need a good gunsmith. Simply put this is not a job for the OK local gun smith.

It is likely that the slide, barrel, comp or more than one will need milled to fit. To go from 38 Super to 9MM you are also going to want to replace the extracted with an Aftech. Parts will run $300-4600. Also, Major 9 mm open guns are much harder to build, so it could require some serious tweaking as pert of the conversion process. You could end up with a bill for $300-$800 in labor. If you are willing to discard the 38 barrel and don't want to be able to switch back and forth, your price will be much lower, and the work will be finished much quicker. Finally expect the 2 week quote to finish the job to turn into 4-8 months. Remember most Gunsmiths, although they are nice guys with skills and good intentions are like black holes. The nearer your gun gets to one the more time slows down.

If you don't need to make major, I have been using 231 for steel challenge with good results. I run 4.4 grs. of 231 and 124gr. RN Xtreme or Montana Gold. Like with all load data, proceed with caution.

With a comp? Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to open guns.

Yes it's a STI Steelmaster with a comp.

With a minor load a comp is more like a barrel weight. For what you appear to shoot presently, just use an accurate 9mm load.

Does the comp work or just add weight? I'm not sure, but I've seen video of the gun running and the muzzle doesn't rise. Because I'm shooting mostly Steel Challenge, even a little rise wouldn't be a big deal as I am rarely double tapping.