Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited gun ideas/thoughts

danjordan78

So I'm looking to build a limited gun for Steel Challenge. I'm relatively new to the sport, but am totally and absolutely consumed with it. I already have a 9mm Steel Master (center fire open), a Ruger 22/45 with a CMore and comp (rimfire open) and now am looking to build up a limited gun to complete the set.

Trying to figure out a couple of things:

1. 2011 vs 1911: Can't decide which one. Either has it's benefits. I already shoot a 2011 for Open so could stick with the same grip and make them feel as similar as possible. I can get grips though for a 1911 that would make it feel like a 2011 so the same frame isn't completely necessary. Mag capacity doesn't matter since it's just for Steel Challenge.

2. Weight: Is a 2011 or 1911 lighter to start with? If I get an aluminum frame 1911 it's going to be pretty light. Not sure about the weight of the polymer frame on the 2011. Mags probably weigh about the same for both. Whatever slide I get will be sent off to get lightened by someone like Freedom Gunworks and it's the same slide on either model.

3. Cost: 1911 is going to be cheaper to build. The frames are far cheaper, mags are cheaper, more variety for grips. Not particularly looking to go cheap, really want to build what's going to be best. Willing to spend a little extra money to do it right. However, at this point I think I'm better building a less expensive option and spending the difference on ammo and practice then on a $3-4000 full custom gun.

Couple of ideas so far:

Springfield RO 1911 - lightened slide, trigger job, grips, I'm in about $1000-$1100.

STI Trojan LITE 1911 - aluminum frame, lightened slide, grips, I'm in $1600-1700 or so.

STI 2011 of some sort - 9mm Edge's start at $2000 so with the slide lightened I will be in probably $2500 with mags.

I can go cheaper on the RO, but will it ever be the quality of gun that a stock STI is? I would think the STI would have a better out of the box trigger and slide to frame fit. Not really sure though if it's worth the extra $500... I can do a trigger job either way, friend is a gunsmith and has the jig so not too worried about that.

Thoughts? I'm looking for some real feedback from experienced/serious steel shooters. Not just "I shoot whatever I have..." I really want to do this right and build a dedicated gun that is as light as possible and reliable. I shoot a 1911 for USPSA in 45 so that's not an option. I also have a SA1911 in 9mm but it's stainless and heavier than I like (it's also my wife's favorite gun and I think she would kill me if I lightened the slide on it!).

Looking forward to some ideas! I've studied and researched about as much as I can, now I need to know what other feedback there is from more experienced shooters.

Thanks!!!

I have been thinking the same things lately but last night my brother emailed me a link for a para ordnance 18.9 on CDNN. after checking it out and thinking about it for a little while I bought one. The gun was $869 but comes with a $100 rebate so I'll have a new 2011 in 9mm for under $800. Now I have to sell some stuff :(.

Like the idea, Love the price!

How hard is it going to be to find mags though? Can't find them anywhere right now. Looks like they are half the price of an STI mag too.

Need at least 3 more mags for steel if it comes with 2.

Like the idea, Love the price!

How hard is it going to be to find mags though? Can't find them anywhere right now. Looks like they are half the price of an STI mag too.

Need at least 3 more mags for steel if it comes with 2.

If one mag holds 18 rounds, why would you need 5 mags for steel? Just load them up and you could shoot 3 strings on one mag with a miss on each string. Edited by jdphotoguy

A 2011 should take the same mags as your open gun so that is one place you could save a little $. if you are concerned with the gun not weighing the exact same each time you draw it then I would go with the 1911.

regardless of what you decide on this is your answer "spending the difference on ammo and practice"

A 9mm 2011 could also double as a 3 gun pistol should you ever want to try that.

An Eagle would be lighter than an edge, so you could potentially get one of those instead (transition faster, and you probably don't need the additional weight to soak up recoil with light steel/3gun loads).

If you have never held a Para framed gun, I would recommend at least playing with one a little bit before you drop the money for a pro custom (or the RIA guns, they are getting pretty rave reviews as well). The frames are big. No way around it. They feel bigger in every dimension than a 1911/2011 when you are holding them.

The weight issue is kind of what I was thinking with the 1911. Load up 20 rounds, even 9mm, and that's a big weight difference between the first draw and the 3rd. I already have a handful of 10rd mags for 9mm so no cost there. I download my open gun mags as well and change them for each run. Maybe it doesn't make any difference, but might as well take away every variable you can.

Won't be doing any 3gun, so not worried about that. If I were I would definitely go with a double stack no question.

Leaning toward the STI Trojan LITE right now. Like the ready availability of mags and parts and I know the gun well. Swap out to some of the DS Perman 19-20 grips (they are lighter than the stock grips but have the feel of a 2011) and send off the slide to get lightened. Should make for a pretty nice setup.

Have never handled a Para before so am a little hesitant to go that direction right now. For the price though, I might have to sell something I'm not using and change it up for the 18.9. Might not be my competition gun, but still kind of intrigued by it!

What I use for Limited SC is an Israeli Bul M-5, currently in 9x23mm. This was a factory racegun built for IPSC L10. Uses Para P18 mags (or special Mec-Gar 10 or 14 rd mags). It is sometimes known as the Polymer Para. It is a full polymer frame with steel inserts like a Glock or HK or M&P but is a 2011. Lighter than my STI open gun. Used to be a very common gun in world IPSC shooting (Saul Kirsch used to shoot for them when he won his titles). They come up for sale on occasion. Also imported by SA, Kimber and Charles Daly over the years (I have one badged as a Springfield in 9mm Commander size). I also have a Dan Wesson 1911 alloy frame Commander single stack in 9mm/9x23mm.

If you are worrying about gun weight then consider only loading 10 rds per mag and use at least 5 mags. Mec-Gar P-18 17rd mags are only about $22 at MidwayUSA. They work with either 9mm or 38 Super/9x23mm and don't need spacers like the STI mags need for 9mm. Put Arredondo +basepads, springs and followers and you can get as much as 19 rds (sometimes 20) per mag. I use the same mags in both the Bul 9x23mm gun and the 9mm gun.

Edited by photoracer

My favorite Steel Challenge blaster was a SVI in 40, with a standard (not bull) barrel. I loaded 135 gr. jacketed bullets, to 1000 fps.

What I liked about that setup...

Fit the same holster as my Limited gun.

Same grip as my Limited gun.

Handled like my Limited gun.

1000 fps is a nice "velocity to sound (ding, or lack of ding, if I didn't call the shot)" ratio.