Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My New .45 Minor Load

Joe D

13 ISMI. I have been shooting lead bullets through stock Glock barrels for 12+ years. Where is that MarkCo character when you need him? He is the one that started all that nonsense years ago.

We use a 160 gr bullet in 9mm, a 180 gr in .40 and 200/230 gr in .45. It is important to use "lead friendly" powder. We use Solo 1000, Clays, Promo and Clay Dot.

It had a ten shot SD of 5. That surprised me as I was using mixed brass. I have not had a chance to check the drop. I may need to add a tangent rear sight for those long shots. I do know at 15 yds it was hitting center. About the longest shot we will have in our IDPA match is 20 yds. It works well with a 200 gr LSWC also. I really like those big holes. Years ago, back when I could shoot, I would walk with the scorer and make a note of any hit that got the higher value due to the large bullet diameter that would not have had I been shooting a 9mm. I picked up anywhere from 3-6 seconds on a typical 100-120 round match. That is a huge number if you are/were an upper level Master. The 41 is a much nicer gun than my old 21. What I have found interesting is the grip angle w/o inserts is identical to a 1911 with a flat main spring housing.

OTOH my go to gun is still my trusty G35.

Curiously then, how many no shoots did you miss then by having a smaller bullet back then versus ones you might clip and get counted now?

Though due to the target to ns ratio, there will never be as many no shoot targets to get dinged on versus targets to get less down on. But the value of a mistake on hitting a ns almost evens it out if you ask me.

What did you find? That you were 6-12 points down better per match shooting bigger holes. But if that same bigger bullet turned a close miss into a hit on a no shoot that equals essentially 10 points down..... So I'm curious if you ever got the down side or really did just benefit.

Also glad to hear it is a poa/poi load! Now I'm kinda pissed I sold my 41 before ever shooting it in a match.......

I thought it was against the rules to shoot a NT. Most of the matches around Alabama don't place the NT targets close enough to a threat target IMO. When I look at a NT target after a match and only see 1 or 2 holes that tells me the NT did not come into play.

Back when I could shoot my match plan was no NTs, no misses, no -3 and no PEs. I would usually be the SSP/ESP Division Winner if that plan came to fruition. After my motorcycle crash 4+ years ago IDPA allowed me to start all over as a Marksman. Currently I am a 3 gun Expert - big whoop. Oh well.

Edited by Joe D

I had to bump the load up a bit. I would get the occasional failure to feed/extract. I am glad I did as 2.8 grs of Clays just stacks bullets. It is still very soft shooting. I also changed the recoil spring to a Wolf 12 lb. I have not had a chance to test the hotter load with the 13 lb ISMI. Maybe tomorrow.

New experiment - CDP 41. Played around with the 41 last week for CDP. 3.6 gr of Clays and a 230 LRN easily made PF. 4.0 of Clays and a 200 LSWC also made PF. Still playing with recoil springs. I took a 17# Glock spring and cut 3 coils. The 41 shoots pretty soft with that setup. I have a 15# ISMI that will arrive today. My buddy, GRR, likes the stock dual spring system. I did not.

Dang I once again said I shot lead bullets, through a stock Glock barrel, on a public forum. Don't tell MarkCo. I do give the bullets a very light coating of Alox followed by a dusting of mica = zero leading.