Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swapping presses on bench top ?

Have limited space on a new reloading bench top.

Considering using a Dillon strong mount for mounting both 550 and 650 presses.

To swap the press on the bench from one to another...

Would it be easiest and faster to leave a different strong mount connected to the press when it is moved...

Or to leave a single strong mount bolted to the bench and pull the swapped presses off the strong mount for storage ?

Inline Fabrication makes a mount which allows swapping presses by unscrewing two brass thumb screws. The mounting plates attach to the press, and they also make a wall mount which will hold the presses out of the by the mounting plate.

I use it to swap between my LNL AP, Redding T7, and a bench vice.

I just mount my presses on strong mounts to a 2x12 of the appropriate size and clamp them to the bench. It allows me to reconfigure without a lot of drilling. I have 3 650s, 3 550s and a SDB, as well as 2 Hornady 366s and an SL900. I also can move a press to another location , clamp it down and load - places like the living room, shop building, buddies house.....

^^^

I do the same thing but don't use strong mounts as I load sitting down and just bolt the press to a 2x8" board and use some stout industrial c-clamps.

I have seperate strong mounts for mine.

I just use 1" -1 1/2" wood screws. I pull them, and put the next one on, and keep going.

With a power drill, I can replace a LNL, or Dillon in under a minute.

That way they are on a mount, and will sit striaght on top of my safe or, on the ground.

I mount them flush with the front of my bench. If I take them all off, you cant even tell where I mount them.

If the holes gets ragged, I just move an inch one way or the other.

I have loaded many thousands that way, and have yet to need to move my initial screw holes.

No lag bolts are needed.

Edited by bwxmas

The QD top plate from inline fab will let you make any of their mounts a QD set up. Attach the QD top plate and then mount the press to the QD receiver. It takes less than an min. to change out presses and he can custom make a plate to about anything you want to use if he doesn't already have it.

Inlinefabrication.com has a wonderful QUICK CHANGE set up available,

it's available in 9 5/8", 6" and 4" riser heights.

It has plates to fit almost all presses and accessory equipment.

Really good stuff, I'm in the process of converting all my stuff over.