Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the 2011 equivelent of a Glock 35?

igolfat8

I have a g35 that I really like but also have a hankering for a 2011. What is the equivalent to it in the 2011 platform? I run a comp on mine but have not seen a comp on a 2011 .40. Seems I only see comps on 38 Supers. Does anyone run a comp on 2011 .40s?

with the comp, you're in Open division, and a .40 isn't as competitive as the 9/38 variants due to mag capacity.

i wouldn't call it an equivalent as the platforms are totally different, but the STI Edge is one of the more popular 'stock' .40's in Limited division.

First off I need to explain the intended purpose ... I don't shoot in organized competitions but I do shoot at the club level at bowling pins and heavy 8" steel plates. I ran the G35 last season and it worked great for pins. However, next year we are adding 6 steel plates with bowling pins. We race the clock and man on man eliminations so speed is key. 9's don't have enough oomph to drop the steel efficiently unless you hit them high and center. 45s are just too slow to get mack on target so 40 is my caliber of choice. Maybe I am nuts but I just like 40s.

You will be slower with the 2011 for a while. Be prepared for that.

Any 2011 in 40 will have a lot of similarities with the g35

Hmmm, please elaborate as to why I would be slower? Perhaps because its heavier and slower to get back on target?

I have a Range Officer 1911 so I am familiar with the 1911 platform but as you said there is an adjustment between the two. I only use the RO to shoot paper and I am considerable slower with it than the 35 when shooting pins. I find it more difficult to find the dot as compared the the 35. Perhaps its the grip angle difference between them?

A 1911 and a glock do point differently. An arched MSH on a 1911 does make it feel and point more like a glock. There really isn't a 40 equivalent to a 35 with a comp in the 2011 without a custom job. Big reason is the 40 with a compensator is not a seller as it would be open for USPS and not legal for IDPA. For competition guns STI makes guns that are basically the popular configurations for each of those games. A 40 compensator gun just wouldn't sell. To add a comp to a gun like you can just dosent work as easy as it does on a glock. On the glock it's buy a barrel and comp and throw it together with some loctite and your GTG. On an STI it requires fitting the barrel and comp to the slide and cutting the slide to allow for clearence for the comp. that's gonna cost a couple hundred or more in labor alone plus the cost of the barrel and comp so to switch a factory gun over would run 600+ so that makes a custom the better option as it's built that way from the start. If you wanna tone down the recoil if a glock and help keep it on target more add weight. An SJC frame weight and a brass SJC or ZEV magwell( depending on hand size) will add a lot of weight to the gun. If your still wanting to get the sti you could try one property setup without the comp and see how it does. Even a 45 isn't slow on target if it's setup right

Edited by EkuJustice