Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Triggers

Iggy42

Ok I hear everyone parrot that nothing beats a 1911/2011 trigger, but what I want to know is why?

Ok I get the pre/post travel involved with the striker guns, especially Glocks and XD(m)s, but what about other single actions that are out there.

I am really interested in "upgrading" my pistol that will do double duty in USPSA Limited and 3-gun. I currently run a XD(m) for both those games and I have had had some success to a point. Managed a personal best of 2nd place locally this year, I typically finish top 5-10. I know all the arguments for sticking to it, especially for 3 gun, but I just feel I am missing something. I know most say look at what the top guys run and get what they have, but I have seen people do well with everything.

Are 2011s that much better (yes I know its a very subjective) than CZ/Tanfos, or is it because CZ/Tanfos just don't have the support available like 2011s do. As both 2011s and Tanfos visually appeal to me I am trying to figure out why everyone says just buy a 2011 you'll be happier. Yes I have shot a Tanfoglio Limited, felt up many a 2011, and I am an ex single stack shooter.

Edited by Iggy42

nothing beats a 1911/2011 trigger, but I want to know why?

I currently run a XD(m)[/size]

Are 2011s that much better I have shot a Tanfoglio

and I am an ex single stack shooter

If you currently run an Xd, have shot a Tanfoglio and

have run SS's (1911's?), then you have a LOT of

practical experience with the various types of guns.

Apparently, you don't see much advantage to the

1911's .. So, I'd guess you ran a 1911 with a

factory trigger, or you are NOT impressed by what

most people feel is The Best Trigger.

And, you seem happy with the Xd -

I wouldn't worry too much about the various triggers,

I'd stick with what you like - the Xd. As you mentioned,

it is a very personal decision. :cheers:

Most people feel they can shoot a well tuned 1911

a bit better/easier than a Xd - but you're not one of

them, apparently. :bow:

nothing beats a 1911/2011 trigger, but I want to know why?

I currently run a XD(m)[/size]

Are 2011s that much better I have shot a Tanfoglio

and I am an ex single stack shooter

If you currently run an Xd, have shot a Tanfoglio and

have run SS's (1911's?), then you have a LOT of

practical experience with the various types of guns.

Apparently, you don't see much advantage to the

1911's .. So, I'd guess you ran a 1911 with a

factory trigger, or you are NOT impressed by what

most people feel is The Best Trigger.

And, you seem happy with the Xd -

I wouldn't worry too much about the various triggers,

I'd stick with what you like - the Xd. As you mentioned,

it is a very personal decision. :cheers:

Most people feel they can shoot a well tuned 1911

a bit better/easier than a Xd - but you're not one of

them, apparently. :bow:

I want to know is what is it that makes most people parrot out that 1911/2011 triggers are the best.

I know my factory 1911 trigger was smoother/faster then my current XD(m) trigger, and its a VERY good XD(m) trigger. It just that I have read here over and over that nothing beats a 2011 trigger, well why? Especially if you look at say a well tuned CZ TS/EAA Limited v say a CK Arms Limited gun - or any other semi-custom 2011 with a tuned up trigger

The two best triggers in my stable are a CZ TS and a Bedell 2011, the both break at 1lb, 7oz, both have about the same pre and over travel, but they feel different because the CZ trigger has a hinge and the 2011 does not so the CZ comes back in an arch and the 2011 comes straight back.

Which is better? Only you can decide :)

The most notable difference is that the TS comes out of the box with a sub 2lb trigger, then if you drop in a $70 race hammer and do some polishing you have the best trigger on the platform by far. So for half the price you can have a trigger equal to a 2011 with a great trigger job.

The two best triggers in my stable are a CZ TS and a Bedell 2011, the both break at 1lb, 7oz, both have about the same pre and over travel, but they feel different because the CZ trigger has a hinge and the 2011 does not so the CZ comes back in an arch and the 2011 comes straight back.

Which is better? Only you can decide :)

The most notable difference is that the TS comes out of the box with a sub 2lb trigger, then if you drop in a $70 race hammer and do some polishing you have the best trigger on the platform by far. So for half the price you can have a trigger equal to a 2011 with a great trigger job.

Thanks Atlas, its part of the reason I am asking since ARs are hinged triggers. I was thinking that if I was using a hinged trigger in my pistol as well there would be some commonality between the two platforms, but you keep hearing that 1911/2011 are the best so it makes me ask why.

Hard enough to afford a "higher end" pistol, really trying to avoid wasting my money

Edited by Iggy42

The trouble is there's something to love about every platform (except maybe Glock ;) ).

In the beginning my plan was to get both the CZs and the Tanfos so I could objectively decide which one is "best"... More than two dozen competition pistols later I still can't decide!

I just picked up my first two 2011s "just to try" and while they are very sweet I don't think I'm in love, definitely not ready to sell off the CZs/Tanfos :)

The trouble is there's something to love about every platform (except maybe Glock ;) ).

In the beginning my plan was to get both the CZs and the Tanfos so I could objectively decide which one is "best"... More than two dozen competition pistols later I still can't decide!

I just picked up my first two 2011s "just to try" and while they are very sweet I don't think I'm in love, definitely not ready to sell off the CZs/Tanfos :)

Except for Glock!?!? Oh no you di-int! The Tupperware mob is marching to your house right now with torches and pitchforks, run Atlas! Oh yeah, the TS trigger is so nice to finger you might end up divorced over it.

I'd have to agree, and that is part of the problem to a point. As I attempt to find what is the road for me I can make good arguments for a lot of different platforms, sadly that includes Glocks.

Not that I like Glocks or do I ever plan on going there, but I can make a good argument to use one

Edited by Iggy42

• 2 weeks later...

The straight pull of the 1911 trigger with a decent set of parts is tough to beat. I have shot my buddies M&P with the Apex kit in it and the trigger is not bad. But Apex actually says that they tried to emulate the angles of a 1911 trigger when it breaks, I have been working with the trigger on my Glock and I can see where there it could be set up to be very usable as well. You have to learn to shoot it though with regard to the reset. 1911's a just a very straight forward crisp break. Very easy to shoot.