Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

never missed past 400y with Limited rifle

ErikW

I took my Limited rifle and Garand out to the public range to try to ring steel today. First was the Limited gun with a mix of 55 and 64 gr factory ammo. Oops, my 69 gr dope sheet only goes out to 300. Well, check the 77 gr dope and guess the lighter bullets are a little flatter. I was hitting the 400 yard plate more or less randomly. Then I used my Hornady 55 gr moly loads. I was hitting the plate more often.

I put my hot Nosler 77 gr in the mag, corrected elevation, and thwacked the plate with each shot. It even sounded better.

So I moved up to the 500 yard plate and dialed in more elevation. Thwack, Thwack. I was laughing my ass off.

I dialed in 33 clicks and held on the 600 yard plate. One shot, one Thwack! With that shot running the gun dry, I packed it up. As a Nevadan, I know to quit when I'm ahead.

I have never fired a shot at 400 or more yards. I think I shot at 350 at one 3 gun match, with a scope. Today I had irons. Did I mention my hands were freezing?

I was brought down to reality with my (1943 Springfield, Danish VAR) Garand. One shot of eight M2 ball hit the 400 yard plate. One shot of eight 175 gr MatchKings hit at 400. :(

Look in the Gallery for pics and specs. Parts include a DPMS (Wilson) stainless 1:8 twist 20" bbl.

But it's gotta be the sights. ;) It sure made me want a smaller rear aperture. And it reminded me the top of the front post isn't square.

What's really cool is that I could dope it all out on the computer, zero and confirm out to 220 yards, and hit on the first shot with the doped-out elevation corrections all the way out to 600.

BTW, there was no wind. Other than that, it's just like shooting at 100 or 200 yards... post below the plate, front globe circle centered within rear aperture circle, squeeze, follow-through.

Look in the Gallery for pics and specs. Parts include a DPMS (Wilson) stainless 1:8 twist 20" bbl.

But it's gotta be the sights. ;) It sure made me want a smaller rear aperture. And it reminded me the top of the front post isn't square.

What's really cool is that I could dope it all out on the computer, zero and confirm out to 220 yards, and hit on the first shot with the doped-out elevation corrections all the way out to 600.

BTW, there was no wind. Other than that, it's just like shooting at 100 or 200 yards... post below the plate, front globe circle centered within rear aperture circle, squeeze, follow-through.

eris...how are you "doping it all out" on a computer?

I can say that it's even more fun with a handgun.. Ok, so a 14" 30-30 Contender isn't like an open blaster.. but it's still fun. I think the longest shot I ever made with my Contender was at like 325 yards.. I haven't found anything farther away when I had my Contender with me. You can bet I wasn't shooting it off hand though (creedmore, on my back).

Vince