Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ezws2ps 1.0.4 Now Available

jcwren

I've updated the ezws2ps (EzWinScore to PractiScore) converter to version 1.0.4.

Changes:

• Fixed an issue with multi-string times in scores not being correctly copied to the PractiScore .psc file when 'Include Scores' is checked.
  • Added knowledge of classifier stages so when a classifier is present, the hits per target is known instead of inferred. This issue affected classifiers CM99-02, CM99-09 and CM99-63 not having the number of hits on each target defined correctly.
  • Added support for target type. If target type is defined as Classic in EzWinScore, then 'Classic Targets (No B Zone)' is checked in PractiScore.
  • Added support to force target NPMs to number of hits per target when scoring is fixed time (PractiScore iOS already did this internally, not sure about Android, but it's the "correct" way to define the stage).

The page at http://www.tinymicros.com/wiki/ezws2ps has been updated. The updated version is available via the download link on that page, or directly from https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12548441/ezws2ps.zip

The zip file has both the previous version and the current version. The previous version is named 'ezws2ps_103.exe' while the current version is named 'ezws2ps.exe'.

If you find any issues, please let me know at jcwren@jcwren.com. You could post in this thread, but I'm not a big fan of using forums as a support system.

Edited 2014-11-27 11:58 -- Changed 'defined as IPSC' to 'defined as Classic'. Thanks to Roger M. for catching this documentation error.

Edited by jcwren

Well, I am just stating the facts without questioning validity of the use cases. I've seen up to 4 copies of results posted with a corresponding support requests to deal with that...

The bottom line is that each match has an unique uuid. If uuids are different, PS can't guess that it is the same match.

The intent is that you complete registration at the range with ezwinscore (owing to its still superior squadding facility), then use ezws2ps to create the initial practiscore match .psc file, bring that over to the master practiscore device ONCE!, distribute the match from the master to the stage devices, and go shoot. The app works as designed and intended.

Edited by wgnoyes

The only thing I am doing is reporting a major issue to the developer, please don't put words in my mouth. I don't particularly care what the intent is, people are using it differently. Again, I am not talking about probability here, it is happening.

If I wanted people to not use this tool I will be telling them that it is completely redundant and there are no need to use another piece of software, because registration can be imported directly from ezws. But if someone prefer that way, I am not going to slap them for that, as long as folks supporting PractiScore won't have to deal with the side effects of using these tools. So, please give some respect to Ken and his guys.

The fix for this problem is next to trivial and there is no need for this pissing contest.

If it's so trivial, EUXX, then why did you start this argument? I have absolute respect for Ken and his staff, anyone who says I don't is... "mistaken". (A different word comes to mind.)

And ezws2ps was written by a PS developer, by the way. It is not redundant. Rather, it creates a ready-to-use .psc file instead of several export/import files. It is a superior method of getting your match from ezws over to ps. It is no more redundant than the Practiscore App Exporter windows .exe, also provided by Ken and his folks, which allows you to bring a PS match into ezws without needing to resort to the tedious PS export options.

Edited by wgnoyes

If it's so trivial, EUXX, then why did you start this argument? I have absolute respect for Ken and his staff, anyone who says I don't is... "mistaken". (A different word comes to mind.)...

All I did is reported an issue as JC asked. After that you both tried to convince me that software is being used incorrectly, but I am not the user for that software, I am one of the others who has to deal with your users. Words are cheap and you would have shown more respect by fixing issue instead of arguing abouit it...

But since JC hasn't contacted me for more details, I take it there is no intent to fix this now.

There's nothing to fix; ezws2ps is working as designed and intended, unlike some other software products I know, some of whose releases last a whopping 3 hours before a panic emergency fix version has to be rushed out.

I've found that some people need a picture drawn for them before they understand, so I'll include a general flowchart of using shootnscoreit, ssi2ezws, ezwinscore, ezws2ps, and Niftybyte's own PS App Exporter, in the conduct of a typical monthly match.

You have now been instructed as to how to correctly use ezws2ps. Please govern yourself accordingly.

Practiscore USPSA Lvl1 Match Scoring Flow.pdf

Hey! Everyone participating in this thread, please re-read the prime directive:

Posting Guidelines

Attitude
Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.
No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.
Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.
No trolling. No alternate accounts.

Stop posting at "each other." If you disagree, then lay those thoughts out logically -- without involving the other person.

I think these threads are incredibly useful, as the sport converts to electronic scoring. I'd hate to see them curtailed because some of you can't play nicely with folks who handle match scoring differently than you do.....

Obviously there is a design flaw in there because your process allows to unexpectedly clone matches (unlike PS's own registration import). In practice, if your app require user to grasp a complicated flow chart, it is generally too complicated for most people. But again, I am not the user of this software and my match flows are much simpler than this diagram.

BTW, you are more than welcome to report PS misuse issues. All thousands of them if you want. I assure you, we won't be telling you that it works as designed

OK, I am obviously missing something here.

We collect data on our website through our own form.

We load that to an IPAD, then register walk-ons at registration.

We then delete the No-Shows

Then we sync the Nooks

Then we shoot our match using the nooks to collect the data

We sync back to the Ipad

Update classifications

Make any other corrections, Divisions, PF

Upload results to our website

Allow the shooters three days to email me any corrections

Run the Activity report from the IPAD, email it to myself, ship it up to USPSA and pay the fees.

No EzWinScore involved.

OK, I am obviously missing something here.

We collect data on our website through our own form.

We load that to an IPAD, then register walk-ons at registration.

We then delete the No-Shows

Then we sync the Nooks

Then we shoot our match using the nooks to collect the data

We sync back to the Ipad

Update classifications

Make any other corrections, Divisions, PF

Upload results to our website

Allow the shooters three days to email me any corrections

Run the Activity report from the IPAD, email it to myself, ship it up to USPSA and pay the fees.

No EzWinScore involved.

You also don't squad shooters anymore, so you can essentially run without EZW......

If however you want to use the squadding feature in EZWS, then your workflow might need to change a little....

Jim, it looks like you've got it all wrong. Your process is not complicated enough. :)

I don't think Bill is interested in complicating the process for complication's sake -- I suspect that there are features that he wants or needs to use, in order to score all of the matches he runs, that require a more complicated workflow.....

That doesn't make his approach better or worse than yours, just different with different advantages and different concerns....

I would always prefer to have multiple tools in my tools, as opposed to fewer tools....

You also don't squad shooters anymore, so you can essentially run without EZW......

If however you want to use the squadding feature in EZWS, then your workflow might need to change a little....

I don't think we ever used EZWS for squading. And I have some time under my belt with it. The only time I've ever needed to really do presquading I used the USPSA web thingy.

I for one wish people take their loves and likes and dislikes and hates of various bits of software and leave them at home, because I've read nearly every thread about electronic scoring in the last forever and lately 80% of the content is dick measuring and that's unfortunate because that is not a feature implemented in the software yet. I wonder if anyone has requested that feature from any of the software's involved. No? Hmm you would think with all the tape measures being whipped out there would be a bugzilla entry somewhere.

I don't know what was so "dick measuring" in my report? How hard is it to generate the same match uuid when the same match is exported multiple times? Or if it is not how software meant to be used, then don't allow to export the same match multiple times... Otherwise people post intermidiate results to practiscore web site and we end up with multiple copies of these results. They obviously will believe something went south on PS side of things and one of PS admins will have to clean up those duplicates after we go trough a several rounds of explaining that the problem is not on PS end, instead of fixing real bugs or working on new features.

PS: I am likely wasting my time here, because it is a third or more message I am writing on this...

The squadding feature in Ez is perhaps its only redeeming quality. Were we to run larger matches it might be something I would want to use. If you don't squad your shooters, there is no reason to use Ez.

If we were running a match with dedicated staff I could see it, as it is, we have trouble enough with people's advanced IT skill sets without having them have to find a squad.