Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lube ring or no lube ring that is the question?

tiger49931

So here is the question i just finished my 5K= rounds of 147grain RNFL lube ring and looking to order more and now my supplier offers a 147grain rn without a lube ring or my regular bullet with a lube ring. Im always looking to squeeze a little extra accuraccy out of my pistol so my question is, Has anyone shot both lube ring and non lube ring and noticed a difference in accuracy ? One would think the extra bearing surface would help the bullet spin and there for keep its trajectory true longer ? Or is it just a flash in the pan easier to load into the casing thing?

Of course these are poly bullets ......

Edited by tiger49931

I believe the main reason casters are offering the no lube ring option for the coated lead is because it is easier for them to apply the coating. The added bearing surface may aid in accuracy a little but I imagine it would be hard to tell much difference. I have shot some non-lube ring rounds in 45 but cant see any difference in accuracy.

tiger49931, I hope you don't mind, but I would like to add to your question. Besides accuracy between lube groove/non lube groove, does the powder charge have to be increased to achieve the same velocity since there is more bearing surface?

On my sns no grooves, the bottom is almost a boat tail profile. I think the amount of bearing surface would be unchanged.

I am amazed how much shorter they are too. If anything, you may need to adjust oal down to make up for the difference in length. I will try to post a pic later.

On my sns no grooves, the bottom is almost a boat tail profile. I think the amount of bearing surface would be unchanged.

I am amazed how much shorter they are too. If anything, you may need to adjust oal down to make up for the difference in length. I will try to post a pic later.

The grooveless definteily have more beearing surface on the SNS (and probably other cast grooveless versions). The "boattail" effect on the 125s was there in the grooved (lubed) versions but not in the grooveless:

c125rn__49973.1411533750.1280.1280.jpg?c

new125_44050.1391867942.1280.1280__98219

I don't believe there was a grooved/lubed version of their 135 but their grooveless 135 has this effect:

135__50342.1411534117.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

There is still a lot of bearing surface, moreso than if it had grooves.

Edited by RDA