Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bang bang click....

Kory

Shooting a steel match yesterday, I heard a click instead of a bang on one stage. Thought I had a weak primer hit, I was wrong. I found a snapcap loaded in the middle of the magazine. That's what I get for loading mags without looking. Never done that one before.

I am constantly preaching (ask Steve) to shooters to put their reloaded ammo into boxes...after case gauging it.

The more you handle the ammo, the more likely you are to find somthing that isn't right...before it gets into the gun.

You can check for high/up-side-down primers and such too.

Now THAT is funny! :D Sorry, Kory... but it is. ;)

I'm just glad I didn't find out till after I was done with that stage. I laughed so hard when I figured out what I did, knowing while still shooting would have been worse.

There's often one in the chamber, especially if I have been doing any dry fire practice recently. Before holstering at match, I rack slide to check chamber, and when it falls out I drop it into the range bag and forget about it. I usually load ammo from boxes, but if there are loose rounds left over from last time, I'll grab those and use them up. So it all came together when I was grabbing a handfull of loose ammo, loading mags without looking because I was too busy chatting it up with another shooter to pay attention to something as unimportant as mag loading, and hiding in the mix was the aforementioned dummy round, being loaded by a dummy shooter.

At least your dummy round was in the magazine. I accidently left one in the chamber before starting a match about 3 hours away. Stage 1, "Load and make ready," and a red dummy round flies out. UUHHGGGG!

I couldn't believe the RO didn't DQ me. He just stood there, with a bumfounded look on his face. I'm like...."what now?" I guess it was pretty funny from any other point of view. Lesson learned, I guess.

Hey gmshtr, I had an RO class with Troy McManus last weekend. He commented on such a topic. He stated that if a snap cap is in the chamber at "load and make ready" that is NOT a DQ. I think it should be because think of when that snap cap was in the gun. If it was in the gun from the night befoe then when did you put your gun on at the match. At the car? 10.5.1 Match DQ. At the safe area? 10.5.12 2.4.2. Match DQ. I think the only way you couldn't be DQ'd is if you unbagged in front of the RO at the line. Does this sound plausable?

Ron

At least your dummy round was in the magazine. I accidently left one in the chamber before starting a match about 3 hours away. Stage 1, "Load and make ready," and a red dummy round flies out. UUHHGGGG!

I couldn't believe the RO didn't DQ me. He just stood there, with a bumfounded look on his face. I'm like...."what now?" I guess it was pretty funny from any other point of view. Lesson learned, I guess.