Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Increasing Ghost mag retention

rowdyb

I run the Ghost 360 pouches, bullets out on a CR Speed belt. Using stock CZ SP01 mags. Five of the pouches on the belt.

I have what looks to be the larger plastic leaf spring in the belt side of the pouches and the smaller one in the side for fore/aft retention.

The problem only happens when I get to run at full speed for more than 7-10 yards. Then mags will fall out while I run or when I come to a stop.

How would you go about increasing the pouches retention?

I use 2 of the heavier springs with my CZ mags and have had no problems during movements. I felt this was just a little bit tighter than how you are setup above. Several of my friends have added the white screws and tightened them up a little bit more to increase the tension. Those are really the options I see.

The little white screws are too little, they don't reach my mag's body. I will upload a picture of how mine are set up for your input later today.

I see on the ipsc.eu webstore you can buy the different springs individually but I have not found a US supplier.

Ok, I went and looked. I have the longer plastic screws in both locations, screwed all the way in. Both leaf springs are the ones with the spine, so the heavier one of the two provided.

In watching the video of them falling out while running again this weekend I think I've found the contributing cause, one that no amount of tolerable retention would cure I think......

I'm short and thin. So 5 mags go almost to my spine. I wear my belt at my hips. In doing stuff around the garage in dry fire when I am really running my butt will hit the mag pouches and bounce them with each stride. So my physical movement is introducing a considerable movement into the pouches/belt. Like 3" of lift.....

Benstoegerproshop was kind enough to send me some new leaf springs but now I'm not so sure that will help... I already have the mags biased on my belt upward.

Hmmmmm, what do you think? Starts at 44 seconds into the vid.

well you certainly got a good wiggle going! I'm not sure the ghosts will give you enough retention. before you invest too much, consider buying one of the DAA racer pouches (yes the plastic ones, not the more $$ alloy ones). They use a combination of METAL leaf spring AND a big thumb wheel adjustment for extra pressure. they also have inserts on the side and rear that you can go up a size too big and the file it down a bit to make it fit tight. they offer really good retention. probably the best of the pouches I've used (including the ghost). They can easily mount bullets out too.

Well, a fifth mag being needed is kind of a rarity, so for the majority of stages, I'd suggest you not even use it, esp if it's distracting you when a mag gets popped out. Obv just a partial, temporary solution, but none of the stages in your video seemed to require a fifth mag.

For a real solution, I've heard the DAA racers, when mounted bullets out, ride higher on the belt. Admittedly, those are the metal ones, but maybe the plastic ones behave the same way...you could email them and ask.

Since it's only one (or maybe two?) mag(s), the price pain for the metal ones might not be such an issue.

Anyways, the point being that if it rides high enough, it might stay out of the way enough not to get bumped at all, or whatever reduced bumping it does take might be within it's retention capabilities as BeerBaron implied.

Lastly, isn't there some rule about wearing your belt at your waist, not your hips? I might be crazy...not sure about that.

Edited by ummm

yeah good point. I'm not sure about USPSA but in IPSC rules the belt must be worn at the waist not low on the hips. there is an exemption for women who can wear it on the hips.

I have both the racers on one rig and a set of race masters on the other. from memory both have the option to mount the pouches in either a low or high position. that could help too.

I wear my belt where I wear my pants normally, hips or waist is basically the same diameter so yeah just in my natural position...... You can look in the video and see it is not some egregious sagging lower belt thing.

And you're right, I've only ever needed a 5th mag once. Well other than being happy I had extras as some fell out during a run.

I will look at the Racers as more than one of you mentioned them.

Thank you for the help everyone.

EDIT: I just ordered 4 of the plastic racer pouches. Looks like i can still run them bullets out and that they will sit higher on the belt and take up less room on my belt as well.

EDIT: I put a small piece of the soft side, self adhesive velcro inside my Ghost pouches to see if that didn't help as well,

Edited by rowdyb

yeah the racers are awesome dude. you will love them.

I've had:

ghost

H&S

CR speed

DAA race master

DAA racer

and my 2 rigs now have DAA race master and DAA racer and I prefer the cheaper racers. I just sold my CR speed rig. I love their pouches too, but to be truthful the racers are more versatile and have better retention.

yes they can be run bullets out and yes they take up heaps less space on the belt. with the ghosts did you put the hard side velcro on the mounts to stop belt separation? they have big mounts and with 5 you do get quite a bit of belt separation which may have contributed to the movement.

anyway, the racers will soive it. they are a great pouch.

Yes, I recently reinvented the wheel on my own and put velcro on the Ghost mounts to keep them in better contact with my inner belt.

Doing some measurements running 5 Ghost pouches takes up a minimum of 8.75 linear inches. If I switch to 4 Racers that will drop to only 5 linear inches and if I go back to 5 pouches then only 6.25.

The "tunnel" of the clamping surface on the Ghost pouches is also 1.75", so there is a built in amount of free play between them and the belt that I'm not sure is helpful in my case. Either way, they are now going on my back up/loaner rig.

Thank you for the recommendation.

rowdyb, it looks like you need to tighten your belt. There shouldn't be that much up and down movement when running. The CR belt is stiff enough to hold up your equipment even if it is loose. I bet that you probably don't need a belt to keep your pants up in general. When I was younger and had a butt, I rarely wore a belt. Now that I am older and fat with no butt, a tight belt is a must to keep my pants up. I have a lot more to jiggle than you do and my equipment for not bounce like yours. I think it's because I have to keep my belt tight or give everyone a show they don't want to see.