Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about magwells & mag releases for Single Stack Division

midvalleyshooter

So the way I understand it. I can run any magwell or mag release in Single Stack Division as long as it fits in the box and the gun makes weight at 43 ozs. Is this correct?

I am considering the Dawson ICE but I am confused by the gap/no gap feature??? I plan to call Dawson and ask question but I thought I would ask here first to get shooters opinions. I need to keep this light because I am putting it on a 9mm RO.

I have used traditional style magwells in the past like SA sells. But this time I want a bigger magwell. I also want to run an over size mag release. Any input or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

Edited by midvalleyshooter

I like the no gap magwell and Dawson pads. You will probably need the aluminum mainspring housing with a 9mm to make weight. I also use the Dawson extended mag release. It is just enough and doesn't drop mags when you don't want them to like the big fat buttons.

The Gap and no Gap has to do with the magazines used. The gap or standard version can be used with standard mags with the little extension off the mag base plate. But the other no gap version needs a mag base pad without the little extension and Dawson makes those. Look at the link to the 9mm magazines at Dawson. The first at the top left of the page is the no gap version and the next magazine to the right is the gap or standard version. Look at the front of the basepad to see the difference.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=MAGAZINE+COMPLETE%3A1911+Single+Stack:9mm+Magazines+for+1911

I use the aluminum gap version on my STI Trojan .40 and 9mm and it works very well. Makes weight in both.