Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1 STI frame 2 different caliber slides

krazykj03

Hi would you guys recommend 1 frame for 2 different slides or just 1 whole gun per caliber? I'm new and trying to see options I have seen some on YouTube but didn't know if you guys personal do it. Or if it's good for the frame or not cause when you have 1 gun custom fitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Dan Bedell gun with 40 and 9 top ends, I don't shoot the the 9 nearly as much but both run fine and are fit great. They are both bull barrel and the slides are machined the same.

When he built it for me he told me, he prefers not to but he will. I don't remember his exact reason why but it had something to do with one top wearing differently than the other on the frame.

I haven't noticed any ill effects, round count is about 3500 on the 9 and 6000ish on the 40.

George

I have a Dan Bedell gun with 40 and 9 top ends, I don't shoot the the 9 nearly as much but both run fine and are fit great. They are both bull barrel and the slides are machined the same.

When he built it for me he told me, he prefers not to but he will. I don't remember his exact reason why but it had something to do with one top wearing differently than the other on the frame.

I haven't noticed any ill effects, round count is about 3500 on the 9 and 6000ish on the 40.

George

Do you have to change the ejector when changing slides?

Hi would you guys recommend 1 frame for 2 different slides or just 1 whole gun per caliber?

I did just this (once upon a time in the past). In the long run I eventually had a second frame built under one of the slides to end up with two guns. Switching back and forth was a bit of a pain, and the cost to get two slides working properly on one frame is better spent on the second gun in the first place. In hindsight, I wish I had just gotten the second gun. It wasn't a "terrible" idea to have two slides on one frame, but it's a much better idea to just have two different guns.

-ivan-

I prefer to have two guns. Started with the CRP packages from Dawson then did upgrades later after running them for awhile. The cost difference was not that much versus the custom work to get the top ends perfect.

I have a 2011 that started out as a .40SW Eagle. But when I got my 6" .40 2011 the Eagle kind of got relegated to just being its backup. So when I got it into my head that I needed a 9mm 2011 for 3-gun, Steel Challenge, IDPA... I had my gunsmith put together a 9mm top end for the Eagle. In the last few years I've shot <100 rnds of .40 thru the Eagle but probably >5K of 9mm. But until I have a better option for a back-up Limited gun, the .40 top end for the Eagle will continue to go with me to majors.

I suppose if I didn't have the 6" 2011 the .40 Eagle would get shot a lot more. But life's too short to be that thrifty.