Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Organizing a match.

Ron Ankeny

It’s been a long time since Wyoming had a state USPSA match. Several of us are working at getting something together. We know the attendance would be low, but that’s a good thing because this is our first effort. I expect we would draw 50-60 shooters so we would run it as a Level I match, but we would make it a quality experience.

Specifically, I am wondering about how to handle awards. This would be a trophy only match. With so few shooters and so many classifications and divisions, we would obviously have divisions with no shooters in certain classes. Is it bad idea to hold off on buying the awards until after the match? We would recognize the winners, then have the award made with their name on it and ship it out later? Anything wrong with that?

What about combining classes? For instance, I shot a match last summer where there were only 3-4 Masters shooting Open and about the same (or fewer) GM shooters. The match officials just combined M class and GM class. Frankly, I didn’t care and I thought it was a good idea. However, a friend of mine asked me why they didn’t combine the M class shooters with the A class shooters? I told him that wouldn’t be fair to the A class shooters. Of course, his point was made. What do you think? Combine classes or go ahead and buy a trophy even if there is only one shooter in a class?

Ron,

One way to deal with the issue is to buy a "generic" plaque and have screw on plates with the year, division, class, and place. That way any of the plques left over can be used the next year and if there is no 3rd Place Limited-10 D-class award presented then all you are out is the brass plate.

Generic plates don't have to be dull. With the match logo or USPSA logo, match name, etc you can design a nice plaque that can still be used year after year.

Ron,

where in WY are you guys thinking? Some of us CO boys may want to come up an play in the wind. As far as awards goes, if you do pre-registration, you may have a good feel for what divisions/classes you will be reconizing a few weeks before the match. Any shortages could then be mailed.

Ron,

I put on my first match last year. I would definitely go with the pre-registration. That way you know how many in class. I went with the 3, 5, 7 in class for awards to 1st, 2nd, 3rd. If the required number registered in class but didn't show I awarded them anyway. If I ended up with enough in class at the match but it wasn't registered that way, they didn't get an award.

If you've got at least a couple weeks lead time, that should suffice to get awards done. I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with mailing them later, but I think it's nicer if you can present them at the match.

If you're looking for something different a local shooter down here does peweter awards. He did the ones for my match and everybody thought they were cool. On the back which you can't see was a plate engraved with class, place, etc. There is a picture and link to his website on our section website.

http://www.centralfloridasection.com/7128.html

Thanks guys. I'll go with your recommendations. What I didn't want to do is spend a lot of money for awards in vacant classes/divisions. We will go with pre-registration and if someone needs to swap divisions or moves up after registration, we will mail the award.

I take it no one is real keen on the idea of combining classes? :D

One of the approaches that I have seen work pretty well is to look at registrations at the point in time when you need to order plaques, then apply the "3-5-7" rule.

Basically what that means is,

-- if you have 3 in a class (within a division), give a 1st-place award

-- if you have 5 in a class (within a division), also give a 2nd place award

-- if you have 7 in a class (within a division), also give a 3rd place award.

That way, you have ordered awards that actually reflect the entry depth in the shooters that are coming, and haven't ordered awards for depth in classes that will be lightly attended.

If (as always happens), you have some late entries that cause you to want to go deeper in class awards (like, at press time you had 3 entries in C-Production, and 4 more shooters sign up for that class later), you can always print out a "temporary award" on paper and hand it to them at the match, so at least they get recognized, and order a plaque for them afterwards. And, heck, if what you print out is nice enough for framing, you may not even need to do that.

PS - I would *love* to see a state match in Wyoming. Let me know if I can do anything to help - I'll do anything I can! And, be *sure* to send me an entry form when they are out - I'd like to come play, too!

Bruce

Are ribbons cheaper than plaques?  I'd have to think so.  I think a county fair style blue ribbon would be cool.

Great, now I need to sandbag my way into Production B class so I can win something! :P

Generic red/white/blue ribbons are about $1/each in small quantities

Fancier and/or customized button or print with the match and club costs a bit more, especially in small quantities.

You also might want to look into medals. They cost a bit more, but less than plaques.