Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help! I inherited a 1988 RL550

flyrodr1948

Newbie to Dillon Reloading Gear here. I've been reloading for about 25 years on a RCBS Rock Chucker press. My brother passed away recently and I inherited his 1988 RL550 press. It's been sitting in a box in his garage for about 10-12 years, and I'd like to put it to use again.

What features does the 550B have that the old 550 does not?

Will current Dillon tool heads, conversion kits, powder measures, etc. fit this older press?

What is this low primer sensor (electronic) all about? Is it an upgrade? can it be retrofitted to an older RL550?

Same questions as above for the low powder sensor?

Will Brian's "As It Should Be" upgrade kit fit this older press?

Any answers, help or suggestions you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited by flyrodr1948

Might send it back to Dillon for a tune up. Dillon service is unbeatable. My oldest 550 is from that era, served well for a long time and has a lot to go.

Last summer Dillon sent new control arms and pins to tighten the press up. Once you get used to the machine you'll never go back to the rock chucker.

Tune up they'll replace any worn parts and it'll be as new. Do a little research here and the net, you have a good press.

I wouldn't worry too much about the low primer alarm. I have one, but have stopped using it. IMO, it's only slightly more useful than a low powder sensor, but was more of an annoyance to me.

For a press that old, sitting in a box in a garage that long, it probably does make sense to send it back to Dillon to get it checked out and refurbished.

• 1 year later...

I had a really close friend whose father left a 550 in the shed out back in the humid Memphis summer for well over a decade. He finally took possession of it after many years while cleaning out that shed, and sent it in to Dillon. It was cobwebs, massive amounts of rust, and some blue paint poking through here and there.

He called after it had been back at Dillon's shop for about a week, checking on expected cost and a timeframe... and their service rep said they had it apart and he could expect a call within another week or so.

About six days later a brand new 550 was sitting in a box on his front porch free of charge. I went right over to his place ASAP to take a look. Turned out we only thought it was brand new. Some of the pitting was visible on the frame of the press in a single spot if you eyes were up close and personal and you were looking really hard through the shiny blue paint. So at least one piece was original. :D

I already had a Dillon 650. And as of that day I'll officially never buy anything but blue reloading gear. Their service could not be better.

Moral of the story: You really should send it in for a tune-up. Who knows what you might get back... and I mean that in the best possible way!

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 2 weeks later...