Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Springs?

NickD

I understand my new .45 ACP Limited will come with 2 extra recoil springs plus the one in the gun. What is the weight of the stock spring and the weight of the extras? I shoot soft reloads, will the springs furnished be ok? No chrono but 3.4 to 4.0 gr Bullseye and 185 and 200 SWC.

Thanks!

Thanks for the responses!

Wolfe gun springs site says the factory spring is 14#. They have a calibration pack with a 9, 10, 11 &12, also included is 3 xtra power firing pin springs. Will also get the 8# as well. That should get me going.

I'm guessing an 8lb spring for those loads. I run an 11lb for my 230gr RN with 4.7 Bullseye (USPSA major load)

My new Limited came in and I'm gonna try the 11# spring myself. Think have extra 10# too but may be too light

• 1 month later...

I've seen the lugs peen over pretty fast on a one lug compact small frame barrel I was shooting major out of, so the idea makes sense to me.

When the bullet is in the barrel it's the frictional force opposing the bullet which pulls the barrel forward and combined with the recoil/hammer spring keeps it locked up, then once the bullet is free of the rifling the gas hitting the baffles in the comp and the recoil spring continue to hold the barrel locked up, but with a smaller force. This tells me that with a non'comped gun the forces are clear and distinct: the barrel is locked by the bullet in the barrel, then the instant the bullet leaves the barrel the action unlocks and cycles, but in the comped Open gun, that point where the action unlocks is less distinct. As the gas pressures wain the recoiling force more gradually overcomes the forward pressure on the comp, so there is much more opportunity for slippage at the lugs which is exacerbated by slow powders, light springs and rounded firing pin stop plates (all the things we do to make the gun shoot flatter).