Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FL Section Championship - Nov 21-23 @ Volusia County Gun and Hunt Club

I didn't see any posts here about this match already. I apologize if there is already one and I just missed it.

I shot and worked this match last year. I thought it was a pretty great match. The stages were fun/interesting/challenging, and everything seemed to run pretty smooth.

It looks like the match wasn't getting a lot of participants this year, and then the date was moved. I think this was done so that the match no longer conflicted with some others on that same date.

Unfortunately, it looks like there are still less than 30 people signed up. I just sent in my registration the other day, as did a friend of mine. I am really hoping that more people sign up for this match. They did a good job last year, and I am sure it will be just as good this year.

Any ideas as to why the current participation is so low?

Edited by uod

Any ideas as to why the current participation is so low?

IMO it is the match fee. We're talking a L2 with a fee of $120. Not to mention it hasn't been widely advertised. Plus, the original dates conflicted with other popular matches, so it was changed to Nov 21-23.

Edited by remoandiris

Level 2 match fees seem to be in that range were I shoot. It seems that you get a free shirt ($15 value) with this match too.

I do agree that this match wasn't well advertised. I didn't see anything here, on the Area 6 FB page, or on any of the Florida USPSA FB pages. The only reason I knew it existed was because of the major match listing on the USPSA.org site.

L2 match I wanted to shoot in Maine had a MUCH lower match fee.

IIRC, the Fl Sec match is a trophy match. I already have several in my closet. I'd rather shoot a good match at a low price than get a trophy, but that is just me.

.....Maine....that's heck of a long haul for a low entry fee match.....whats that like 1,600 miles one way??

Actually it is only an hr or so when you live in the area, which I did over the summer.

But hey, IMO the fee is too high. We'll see if the change of dates increases entries.

Edited by remoandiris

Isn't the florida open in February? That's only a few months down the road. Probably a higher concentration of locals will shoot the sectional because the out of towners want to try to get in the FO?

I've never shot a level 2 under $100 either. I have just always considered the $115-$140 range to be par for the course when it comes to level 2 matches. Our SC Sectional match for 2015 is expected to be $140 ... but, you also get a Gunsta shirt and a chance to win both a plaque and cash. Our cash payouts are usually pretty good too. This is in addition to having a random draw prize table for the shooters. I think that is what draws people to our match.

Isn't the florida open in February? That's only a few months down the road. Probably a higher concentration of locals will shoot the sectional because the out of towners want to try to get in the FO?

There is a significant match in FL every month thru April and I typically work/shoot all of them.

US IPSC Nats - just completed (usually Sept)

Monster Match (this year SOMM due to WS) - late October

Custom Gun Classic -November (changed to SOMM due to WS)

Factory Gun Classic - December

USPSA State Championship - January

Florida Open - February

RO Invitational - March (questionable this year)

Section 6 - April

The FL Section match has bounced dates and is now scheduled the weekend before Thanksgiving. Add to that, not listing the match on matchsignup.org where most significant FL matches are listed. Bad date & poor visibility is going to hurt attendance IMHO. I would shoot it, but I will be out of town for the holiday week.