Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Minor load for 9mm open gun 5"

MarkS_A18138

I am moving my daughter into a 9mm open from her 38 super. I beleive I can get less felt recoil for her with the 9. I had to put her back on her .22 after I caught her rubbering her wrist after a couple of stages this past spring. Now the Ladysmith is not to far off and she is wanting the open gun back in a bad way. Help Thanks Mark Self

I'm using 124 gr plated West coast bullets, 4.4 grains of Titegroup witha Winchester primer. I also seat the bullets as long as I can since the Para I shoot in has such long magazines. I get a nice 135 pf. I shoot this in my LDA 9mm all the time. Nice soft load, fairly accurate for me.

Vince

I use a load similar to Harmongreer in two different 9mm. I use 4.8gr Uni Clays under a 121gr or 125gr Zero.

I think the N320 load is slightly less snappy, but the Uni Clays runs the comp better. Have not really decided. TG is awesome and I run that in 38Super.

If you really want soft, then try the 108gr 9mm from Zero, 5.0gr Uni Clays, won't quite make minor in some 5" guns, but you can go up to about 5.3gr (130pf easy) without too much pressure. Loud, but soft and the comp will work a treat.

The other thing is I think if the wrist is hurting the 22lr is the key, get her to slowly start working up again.

How old is your daughter and does she have skinny wrists.

To help strengthen the wrists without causing too many problems for her later, get her to do eccentric weight traing on both forearms. This requires you to lift (with both hands) a weight and lower it slowly whilst fully supporting the entire arm, which is held straight. I use this to help with tennis elbow. Do not use anything more than 5lbs and do aty least 3 x 15 reps twice a day.

I understand 16 year old boys are better than girls at this exercise :D

Guy's thanks for all the info. I am hoping this new gun works well for her. She really likes to shoot the Super over her .22. By the way she has just turned 10 as of the 24th and is look forward to shooting in her 4th big match. She is the little blonde girl they interveiwed on shooting Gallery at the Ladysmith match last year. Shea has been bugging me everyday to get back to the Open gun because she wants to do better than last year!!!!!! She won a set of hearing protection and a S&W knife and thought the world had come to it's end. :rolleyes: