Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Modular AR10, AR15, 1911, STI Vise Block.

P.E. Kelley

Awesome piece of maintenance gear! Thanks for the headsup! Will the upper receiver block hold an AR receiver secure enough to remove and install barrels, free-float tubes, etc with just the pins? Or should I still be using a clamping style vice block for that?

Cheers623

DVC

Maybe I have been doing it wrong but I use the pin style for the operations you mentioned.

Never seen or had any kind of issue, but then again maybe I have been just lucky, and I have had some very

heavily torqued barrel nuts to remove!

FYI the block in the video fits tight enough that the force is not just on the pins but it is shared with the bottom

surface of the upper. Now that does depend on the upper's dimensions.

Awesome piece of maintenance gear! Thanks for the headsup! Will the upper receiver block hold an AR receiver secure enough to remove and install barrels, free-float tubes, etc with just the pins? Or should I still be using a clamping style vice block for that?

Cheers623

DVC

I don't like it for barrel installs because when torquing the barrel but your putting all the stress on the takedown pin holes. IMO. I have a full cage one for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers623

DVC

I don't like it for barrel installs because when torquing the barrel but your putting all the stress on the takedown pin holes. IMO. I have a full cage one for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand your thinking but I have removed many a stubborn barrel nut with way more force that should be needed and have yet to injure an upper.

So tight in fact that I bent barrel wrench pins, but again no damage to the upper. (I was concerned in that case to I checked for square on my mill table and a dial indicator)

The advantage is this will fit ALL uppers. The "cage" type won't fit the DPMS lo-pro uppers among some other oddballs.

Since I work on whatever come across my bench I need best quality tools and fixtures that fit and function with everything.

Patrick,

Do you think anything is gained by using this: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/barrel-tools/ar-15-m16-308-ar-barrel-extension-torque-tools-prod27452.aspx

I attach a 1/2" breaker bar to the end, place breaker bar in a vise so this tool and upper are horizontal. Works on all uppers and no fear of tweaking upper. Useful for replacing muzzle devices as well as barrels.

Patrick,

Do you think anything is gained by using this: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/barrel-tools/ar-15-m16-308-ar-barrel-extension-torque-tools-prod27452.aspx

I attach a 1/2" breaker bar to the end, place breaker bar in a vise so this tool and upper are horizontal. Works on all uppers and no fear of tweaking upper. Useful for replacing muzzle devices as well as barrels.

I see the merit in that method but Tens of Thousands successful builds have been done with an upper vise block.