Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

929 at 50 yards

9146gt

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts on what size the 929 clyinder throats should be? You can drop .358 jacketed and lead projectiles through the cylinder.

Also looking at Walther's specs on barrels, both 9mm and .357 have .355 bores. 9mm has .347 land Dia. and .357 has .346 land Dia.

Tom

Edited by 9146gt

Rifling has lands and grooves, grooves being the larger diameter. I am shooting .357 diam. 125 jhp in a 1-10 Walther barrel with a .355 groove diam. In my .357 cylinder. The .357 bullets are a light press to push through. Bullets and cyl. throat are the same size. That is what you want. A .358 should NOT drop through on a 9mm gun. Ideally you would have .355 bullets, cyl. throat, and barrel grooves. Or .356 bullets for lead. The cyl. throat straightens the bullet up to enter the barrel. An oversize throat will not do that as well as an on size throat. I am getting good accuracy out of my 627 .357 with Short Colt brass because the cyl. throats are on size. The case length doesn't really matter if the gun is mechanically correct.

Measured the 929 with pin guages,barrel is .347" and the cylinder throat is .357" same as my 686.

Smith & Wesson Model 940 in .356 TSW (9x21.5 mm) has .347" barrel and .354" throat.

Tom

Get a soft lead slug and drive it in the barrel to find the groove size.

You can use this to check for fit in the cylinder throat.

• 3 weeks later...

Received the 929 back from Smith:Replaced barrel,cylinder,trigger,hammer, hand,repair frame. It will now shoot 2.5" groups at 50 yds with 115 gn jacketed :surprise: ...barrel is clocked left :angry2:

Tom

Sounds like someone was a little heavy handed with the barrel wrench, accuracy sounds great, if it were mine I would be OK with it as I pull most of my double action shots to the left and compensate by moving the rear sight to the right.

Received the 929 back from Smith:Replaced barrel,cylinder,trigger,hammer, hand,repair frame. It will now shoot 2.5" groups at 50 yds with 115 gn jacketed :surprise: ...barrel is clocked left :angry2:

Tom

They get them clocked right every once in a while but odds are you would have to get it right by accident sometimes. That's why I own a frame wrench. I would fix it myself before I would let them have it back. Pretty easy fix if they just over tightened it a little.