Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time for a gunsmith?

kralcorn

The issue I am having is my group size. I am shooting at 10 yards sandbaged with proper trigger control and sight alignment but the best group I can achieve is about 1 1/4" Personally I would think the rounds should be nearly touching, if not, at 10 yards.

The pistol is a Glock 35 with a zev tech falcrum trigger & spring kit @ 2lbs. The barrel is a storm lake and I have a 15 lb flat wire slide spring / tungstun guide rod. The pistol is set up for limited.

I have tried several bullet and powder combinations with similar results. The latest being a 180 gr Bayou TCG bullet with wac, 5.4, 5.6, and 5.8 gr as test groups seated to 1.250 OAL. My crimp I mic'd and there was no flare left and the crimp did not cut into the coating when I pulled a bullet to check. I have even used unique tek's kit for the 650 tool head to clamp it down along with their micrometer for the powder bar so seating depth and powder charge have been very consistent.

Am I being to much of a perfectionist our is the grouping lose for ten yards? I've eliminated everything I can think of reloading wise so I suspect something isn't right with the gun. Any advice is much apreciated.

How wide is your front sight post and fiber? 10 yrds isn't far but it is far enough for a large front to get "in the way" of your group not allowing for a proper "grouping" sight alignment. Also are you measuring the group to the outside of the holes? Typically groups are measured from center to center of the bullet hole. So if you have a group that is 1.25" out to out, subtract .40 (for the outer half of each) and you're .85" If this is the case, move on and blast!

Try it at 20 yards, is it still 1.5"? If it's close to that, it's an aim issue.

Also try it at 5/7 yards, can you get one hole groups?

Lastly it's a plastic gun with looser tolerances, and a striker primed trigger. If you take it to a GS, about the only thing he could do is replace the barrel. How many 125.00 barrels do you want to throw at a 600 gun? Don't get me wrong I love my glocks, but they are a tool designed to ALWAYS go bang and cycle. To do this you need looser tolerances which directly fight inherent accuracy potential.

The issue I am having is my group size. I am shooting at 10 yards sandbaged with proper trigger control and sight alignment but the best group I can achieve is about 1 1/4" Personally I would think the rounds should be nearly touching, if not, at 10 yards.

The pistol is a Glock 35 with a zev tech falcrum trigger & spring kit @ 2lbs. The barrel is a storm lake and I have a 15 lb flat wire slide spring / tungstun guide rod. The pistol is set up for limited.

I have tried several bullet and powder combinations with similar results. The latest being a 180 gr Bayou TCG bullet with wac, 5.4, 5.6, and 5.8 gr as test groups seated to 1.250 OAL. My crimp I mic'd and there was no flare left and the crimp did not cut into the coating when I pulled a bullet to check. I have even used unique tek's kit for the 650 tool head to clamp it down along with their micrometer for the powder bar so seating depth and powder charge have been very consistent.

Am I being to much of a perfectionist our is the grouping lose for ten yards? I've eliminated everything I can think of reloading wise so I suspect something isn't right with the gun. Any advice is much apreciated.

extrapolating your data that would give you a group size a shade over 3" at 30 yards which seems pretty good for a Glock. Back when I read various gun test magazines, most production guns were lucky to hold a 3" group at 25 yards even with premium ammo.

I do have guns that shoot "touching" holes at 15 yards but they are revolvers.

Edited by bountyhunter

How is 1.25" at 10yrds vs your 1.5" at 15 yards considered a loose group for him but not you? If you are measuring the width with a 9mm vs a .40 and not the center these groups are nearly identical.

In either case they are totally acceptable for comp so move on to the things that matter, like doing it quickly unrested while moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is 1.25" at 10yrds vs your 1.5" at 15 yards considered a loose group for him but not you? If you are measuring the width with a 9mm vs a .40 and not the center these groups are nearly identical.

In either case they are totally acceptable for comp so move on to the things that matter, like doing it quickly unrested while moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunno where the 1.25" at 10 yards came from..... I was commenting an a 1.5" CTC group shot at 15 yards.

The OP shot 1.25 at 10yds and then you posted 1.5" at 15 and called his a loose group.

Reading back, I guess you could have been calling your own a loose group and not referring to the OP's as being loose, although his entire post is asking whether 1.25 is too loose or not so I thought you would be providing a comment relevent to his question.

If you weren't my bad

Problem solved!

I haven't had much time until now to test things but I'm finally getting back to this post (overtime at work and squeezing a match in does that). Thanks for everyone's comments and thoughts on the matter, I've been dealing with this accuracy issue all summer and it's good to finally have it resolved.

After my initial post I bought a box of factory ammo and placed my Glock's stock barrel back in the pistol. I was able to shoot one jagged hole with it. I then shot some of my reloads and they spread out some with the stock barrel but not as bad as with the Storm Lake barrel. I tried the Storm Lake barrel with the factory loads and my group spread back out to over 1 1/2" at 10 yards. Since I want to shoot lead / reloads I decided to spend the $ and purchase a KKM Precision barrel with the evidence pointing to a barrel issue.

I just got back from the range this afternoon testing the KKM barrel and again I used 10 yards as my distance. I fired the factory ammo first, all shots grouped into one nice jagged hole. I then shot my reloads and again shot one jagged hole, both being about 5/8" from center to center. It's not likely I'll ever purchase another Storm Lake barrel. I may have gotten the one lemon in a million since a lot of people like their Storm Lake barrels but for me I just became a KKM Precision believer.