Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Open Gun Basics

hercster

I just got my Limited Pro and upgraded it with the Xtreme parts the results of which pleased me no end. However the fevered mind is rarely quiet for long and so I'm messing with the idea of building an Open gun. This is strictly for the play value as I wouldn't take a serious shot at competing in Open. My LC will be my IPSC and USPSA gun.

I see that a "comp kit" is available in 9mm which would be my choice. I can visualize that installing that would be a no brainer.

I'm going to get the frame of the Ltd Pro drilled and tapped for an optic to use in Steel Challenge as another modest adventure. So that part of the conversion is a given.

I understand that converting a Tanfo to SA only is simply a matter of changing the trigger and removing the interrupter. Do I understand correctly?

Finally, I don't reload and never will so this gun will get factory ammo, possibly +p if I can get that in Canada and Texas where I winter. So with this information, does making the required changes even make sense? I'm not looking to build a super star gun and would do the conversion strictly for my pleasure even if the results were marginal.

What say you peeps?

• 2 weeks later...

Factory +p or ++p ammo won't work the comp. I tried every factory one I could find and I think the buffalo bore was 'hottest' at about 149-150 PF, also far shy of 165 needed for major. I used Blamtec to load major, just get them new brass, then you have ammo that is still way cheaper than +p , but done with correct powder with enough gas to work your comp. Otherwise don't bother with major, just shoot it open minor and have fun.

Yes, if you're not going to hand load don't waste money on a comp, it will do nothing (this is something I wouldn't believe until I experienced it for myself).

I Limited Pro with an optic is as good as it gets for an Open gun with factory ammo (the lightest loads you can find).

Thanks guys. That's sort of what I expected. I just have the urge to build something after reading all your posts here. I never realized that the Tanfo platform was as flexible as it is. It's really the Barbie doll of pistols the way the halves can be mixed matched and modded. This is serious fun.

Hey Gord:

You know if you want to get around the whole reloading thing, you might be able to get 9 major or 38 SC ammo made for you. Wolf for instance will load that stuff. That way you could experience the rush of shooting a compensated Open gun without the hassle of loading for it.

Whenever you get back, I can let you feel the difference between regular 9mm and 38 SC major if you like.

Hey Gord:

You know if you want to get around the whole reloading thing, you might be able to get 9 major or 38 SC ammo made for you. Wolf for instance will load that stuff. That way you could experience the rush of shooting a compensated Open gun without the hassle of loading for it.

Whenever you get back, I can let you feel the difference between regular 9mm and 38 SC major if you like.

Hey Back Rob!!!

I came all the way to Texas and am sitting in the rain wondering if I'll get to shoot this weekend. I've lodged a complaint as rain wasn't in the glossy brochures. :-)

It's nice to see another Canadian face here again. My computer beeped just as I'm struggling to get the Xtreme trigger into that Limited Pro. I haven't shot yet due mostly to "jet lag" after the long and altogether too exciting trip down. I'm just lucky to be here with most of the rubber still on the ground. It's a long and scary story.

I got the rest of the Xtreme parts and springs and hopefully will get them installed today. I don't want to rush the winter away but I will be happy to see you again in May. I was happy to see your name and others in the reports on the WS which I followed with interest from "the road".

Thanks for jumping in!!

Gord

Sadly, my World Shoot didn't go anywhere nearly as planned. Weird, unforseen mechincal issues got to me early on and stayed on throughout.

Still, it was a lot of fun.

I'm having a hard time getting the plunger back in. I'll PM or call if the pain continues. Regardless of the results, I was proud to see you and the other guys I know carrying the Maple Leaf on our behalf. I'll bet you had fun and made a few memories too!!

The plunger back into the pistol? This video helps

Thanks Mr. Gump! I got it a short while later by using a very small screw driver to depress the mag release plunger while pressing on the top of the plunger. It worked but I'll watch this now as there's an easier way for everything. I'm in Tx now and didn't come through La this time. Maybe I will on the way home and drop by to share a coke with you. This is only the second time breaking down a Tanfo for me and like the last time, you and other here have helped. I was surprised to see my Canadian guru jump in on another thread with some advice. People who travel as I do, know just how great the fellowship of gun people is. I try to meet as many forum acquaintances as I can. You Atlas and others are a credit to the sports through your generosity. This newbie really appreciates y'all :-)

Gord

I travelled to a lot of US cities when I was still in harness. Business took me all over the continent. By far San Diego was my favourite US big city. I was there over one full week once for a convention and loved the place. I also took a day to drive up the coast to Venice Beach to pursue my obsession of the time and worked out at Gold's Gym which is Mecca for body builders and gym rats.

My plan was to get back to many of these places in retirement but real life has cut me back a bit. However if the occasion presented itself, SD would be at the top of my new list. All that travel was in my life before guns. It's hard to imagine living that way but for a Canadian that was pretty normal. Thank goodness Texas corrected the error of my ways and the rest of it is recent history.

If you are a gun person, Texas isn't a bad place to be confined to for the winter. It rained heavily but I hope to shoot a pistol match on Sunday. Hee haw!!!

hercster:

Don't even consider Tucson for shooting!

It is so strenuous, we have two matches each weekend withing 60 miles of Tucson.

Almost each day of the week, we also have some type of practice match.

Being retired is more fun than all those days at work.

Any you know by reloading, you are saving money each time you pull the trigger!

Your spouse will be glad to hear that.

Just think, each day you return from shooting, you spouse will say

" How much did you save today-dear?"