Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New K40 Magazines

Steffes

I just picked up a Limited in 40 and it comes with the new style mec-gar black K40 magazine. There is a spacer down the inside rear spine of the mag. I am wanting to use long loaded 40 (200 gr bullet at 1.18 oal) as I would maintain commonality there, but the mag will not accept the longer loaded rounds or the standard fks-11 grams kit. Has anyone removed the spacer from these mags? If so, what did you find to be the best method? Thanks!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+2 for Atlas' response. I've run ten thousand long .40s (1.23" OAL) using 180 grain Bayou Bullets and Black Bullets through my .40 caliber EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Match with the K-10 mags without any failures to feed.

Although I haven't purchased anything from "CheaperthanDirt", so I can't vouch for them. But the K-10 mags I got from EAA have been top quality. I hear good things about Greg Cote LLC too, but last I checked he didn't carry the 10mm magazines. I haven't compared the K-40 mag feed lips to the K-10, but to me it wasn't worth the hassle, I just ordered three K-10 mags (for the discount which EAA was offering at the time). Good luck.

Edited by jmbaccolyte

I thought I read a post here about 10 mm mags having a rib down the side that limited capacity to about 15 rds?? Seemed like the mag body bulged excessively. I think cha-lee was doing the experimenting.

Edited by Steffes

I thought I read a post here about 10 mm mags having a rib down the side that limited capacity to about 15 rds?? Seemed like the mag body bulged excessively. I think cha-lee was doing the experimenting.

Steffes- Atlas and Nealio are talking about adding aftermarket magazine base pads (extensions), springs and followers to increase capacity. As you stated, with the stock magazines they get full at 13-15 rounds in .40 or 10mm. If you already knew this please accept my apologies. But I figure there's probably someone out there who didn't understand.

I wouldn't rush to sell the K40s yet if you think there is ever a chance that you might want to shoot shorter OAL rounds through it... I have "some" personal experience right now that suggests the .40 mags might be better if your OAL is under 1.145 which I believe is the max that will fit in the K40 mag.

Yep realized we are talking about mag extensions. Was remembering a discussion about mag bodies bulging with henning extensions with only 15 rds in the tube. I won't ever be loading short running fast pistol powder and 200 gr bullets in 40 :)

Update: I ordered one of the 10mm mags recommended above and a henning mag extension. I have fks11 grams spring kits available so I will give that a try. The hardware is set to arrive tomorrow so I will assemble and report back as to the functionality tomorrow when they arrive.

Got the new mag today and it turned out to be a K10 with the full length rib down both sides of the mag. I will be sending it back for a refund as the ad was for the old style mag with no rib. Be warned that 101945 mags will not work for 40 limited due to restricted capacity.

Trying to maintain a single 40 long load that will work in this gun. Too long for k40 with spacer installed, k10 has a rib that limits capacity to about 15 reloadable with henning pad and grams guts. Need the old 10mm body to accept the load length and maintain 20/21 + 1 capacity. 1st world problems :)

I"m not aware of Tanfoglio making single stack mags for anything but their 1911.

The ribs on the 10mm mag I think are supposed to help the bulging issue, but it reduces your capacity by 1. Did you try the extension on that K10 mag or just send it back?

Edited by Nealio