Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro 5 spring weights

dhunt91

I used SSS for guide rods, I believe Wolf sells guide rods on their site. In both my 9 Pro and 40 Pro I am using 13lb ISMI springs. I shoot 130pf in 9mm and 168pf 40 ammo . The 9 is ridiculously easy to shoot, it is like a 22 and I use it for 3gun. The 40 shoots like a 9 with factory ammo. A little muzzle flip and dip when cycling. I tried an 11lb spring, but it was too unreliable. I had some failures to go into battery with each pistol. I use small base dies for both rounds and all will easily pass a plunk test. 13lb is the lowest I would go for springs without lightening slides.

In my 9L and Pro 40, I find that my accuracy (and reliability) is definitely affected by the spring weight. Heavier spring = better accuracy + more reliable, lighter spring = less accurate + less reliable. I use a long tungsten uncaptured guide rod and a 15lb spring in all my M&P's, and I'm happy. I wouldn't trade accuracy and reliability for a little less recoil or muzzle flip. I just work on my grip.

I think I had to go with a lighter striker spring too. I believe the recoil spring and the striker spring fight each other, if there's to much of an imbalance towards the striker spring, it will want to come out of battery or not lock up as well. Just my thoughts, I'm not a gunsmith or anything :-) Look into it.

• 2 weeks later...