Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trijicon sights, good for how long?

Max It

hi ya, my xd9-Tactical came with Trijicon night sights, which I promptly took off in favor of competition fibre optics.

now my buddy bought a XD9 and I am thinking he could use these. however they are blank! no light left.

it was sold new to me in May of 2009.

do you think I have a chance to get them to replace the sights from Springfield? Or am I missing something?

Sounds like they're exactly as bright as they're expected to be, you're just unimpressed with how they dim.

5 year old night sights are not easily visible in a lit room, if you can see them in a bathroom or closet at night with no lights on and no light from under the door, then Trijicon won't be any help, they'll offer to replace the vials for a price.

Tritium has a half-life of a little over 12 years. The sites should be marked with a year of manufacture. What is that?

If you damaged them so they leaked, I would say it likely wouldn't illuminate at all, since the gas is much lighter than air. So if they illuminate at all, its likely just aging

Edited by hceuterpe

its clearly marked '08' which make sense since the gun was mfg in 2008, I bought it new in 5/09 and the sights were professionally taken off in favor of the competition sights I had put on. (in those days I hired people to do my gunsmithing, since then I do it :surprise:).

and Swift got it right I expected brighter, but they are probably fine.

Today I checked the trigger pull and it is 3 1/2#; too light the way it is for a night stand gun. so if I need another one of those I will look elsewhere in my collection.

I will save this thread should I get the urge again, I can always change the pull.

• 2 weeks later...

They should last longer than that, although it sounds like they still work. I had a set installed on a Beretta 96 in 2000 or 2001. The still work to this day. They seem a little more dim than when they were new, but I can see them in a dimly lit room.