Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

slow powder required for heavy .40 bullet?

olp73

For heavy bullets in 40sw is it really necessary to use slow burning powder? My chamber I fully supported, but the pistol does not function with the long loads typically used in S_I guns. I mean there is a lot of short 200gr factory loads out there!!

I think you just have to be extra careful. Heavy bullets and fast powders increase case pressure. And, loading shorter increases case pressure.

The 40 case already operates at a relatively high pressure. And, it isn't the strongest brass in the world. Add in a mix of used brass...some having been shot in unsupported chambers...some re-sized, often.

That being said...I use TiteGroup and 180's loaded to 1.135 for major. I like "once fired" brass more than "how many loads can I get out of this" brass. I don't ever see signs of pressure.

Oh...I also use, and recommmend, the Lee FDC (Factory Crimp Die). I helps to make sure the bullet doesn't "set-back" into the case...which would decreas OAL and increase case pressure.

If I am not mistaken tightgroup is extremely fast. Even faster than vv 310 and vv 320. Those are the two powders that I am considering. So, if someone has loading data for short 40 using fast vv powder I would really like to hear about it.

You're not mistaken. TG is fast. But, it is not faster than N310, nor Clays. It may be slightly faster than N320, but not markedly.

For 200's, I've heard that N330 is a really sweet load at Major velocities.

I edited the topic title, which was originally ".40 SHORTY," so I think the poster is looking for factory-length (aka short) loads. (See first post.)

That is correct Eric, I am looking for a start load for factory length 40 loads using vv 320 or even vv 310.

Keep in mind that most of the guys here that load fast powders in their .40s are loading it long. Go to Jeff Mass's website. He has a long list of .40 cal loads. Don't know if anyone is loading .40 cal for major with fast powders at 1.125 OAL.

• 4 weeks later...

look no further than universal clays in the 40

4.3 and a 200 FMJ make major and still fit in the magazine in my glock

anything slower would be counter productive..

i have tried accurate arms number 7 and it had quite a bit of sting.

I think U clays is the answer for 200 grain 40s.

These loads work out of my gun which is a stock Para P16-40 with stock barrel.

200g LTC

3.8g TG / 1.155 OAL / 168PF

4.5g WSF / 1.155 OAL / 170 PF

4.1g Univ. Clays / 1.155 OAL / PF 170

200g Montana Gold / 5.5 WSF / PF 170 / OAL 1.155

My favorite is the 200g LTC with TG and WSF.

• 2 months later...

I have been loading some 200gr cast lead bullets with PowerPistol to around 180 PF with pretty decent results.

Glock G22 w/KKM Match Barrel

OAL: 1.135

WSP

Here is some of the data

4.7gr 859.9 fps

4.9gr 885.4 fps

5.1gr 921.6 fps

5.3gr 937.7 fps

5.5gr 951.0 fps

Tim