Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What are you all using for pistol rests for reload accuracy testing?

rtp

I often see comments about people testing their (pistol) loads at 25 or even 50 yards, usually with comments about being rested at 25+.

I have an OK front/rear rifle rest combo (Caldwell Rock Deluxe), and I suppose I could use the front rest for pistol, somewhat, but just can't see buying a Ransom or other seriously high-dollar rest.

I generally run my load tests at ~15 yards offhand, but figured not everyone is buying/using ransom rests, so curious as to what rests everyone is using for pistol?

I always use my Les Baer Bullseye guns with red dot sights for 9 mm and 45 on an indoor range with a Caldwell and towel...the key for me is shooting each shot with consistency of hold, etc. the red dot helps my older eyes...when shooting different calibers then above I try to attach a laser, etc. sub 2" at 25 yds is my goal....I have a Ransom rest as I shoot mostly 1911s and our range has. Firm stand for one, however it is work and time consuming to use it correctly...Volume 1 of Patrick Seeneys Book of the 1911 has an excellent chapter on sighting in handguns, pistols, etc. Good luck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks - good to know I'm not missing out on something 'super secret and inexpensive,' or worse, 'required and super-$$' method for benching pistols. ;) (Ransom rest excluded from that statement, of course. ;) )

I figure that 95%+ of my shooting is going to be freehand, so that's where I measure it, but will give some testing a shot using the front rifle rest or equivalent, and see if it brings about noticeably different perceptions of accuracy in my loads..

Like the OP, I do accuracy testing offhand at reasonable distances. 25' allows me to draw a much more precise sight picture than 25 yards. And unless tumbling is a worry, a tight clover leaf at 25 feet is the same as someone else's 2" at 25 yards.

I found that resting the gun itself on anything messes with my grip and the recoil cycle in a way I can't describe but don't like. When I'm having a bad off hand say or want an extra bit of precision I just move to the side of the shooting box and touch the outer side of my forearm to the upright. That gives me a rock steady aim without messing with the natural weight or recoil cycle of the gun.