Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm vs .40 frame and slide differences

3djedi

If I put a glock 17 slide on a glock 35 lower will it function? (using 9mm mags)

what about a 35 slide on a 17 lower? (using .40 mags)

what makes the 9mm lower and the .40 lower different? is it just the ejector?

Edited by 3djedi

In the same generation the 17/17L/22/24/31/34/35/37 use the same receiver.

Not the Gen2 40 or Gen2.5 as I say. There is a transition from 2 pin to 3 pin as they got into the 40 Caliber

Sorry yes the locking blocks being different is what I meant here BUT they will all still interchange slide barrel ect

Edited by dskinsler83

I have seen 2 pin g22s for sale on arms list before. I have no clue if they were factory or not

What differences were there from the 3 pin gen 2 to the gen 3 other than the grip and rail? Slide finish? Rear sight?

Edited by b1gcountry

No the 9mm case head is SMALLER in diameter. So the ejector is pointed in further and pointed (gen 1-3) so the larger diameter case head of 40 will shift the cartridge over and can cause the ejector to strike the primer when ULSC command or clearing the chamber. Now does it happen a lot no do people run then anyways most likely is it smart absolutely not and is a preventable scenario and its so easy to change out that it should be. Now the gen 4 ejectors are squared off and the inward protrusion is not as prevalent

That is the standard explanation, but if the primers are the same size, and in the same place (dead center), how could the ejector hit one, but not the other?

Stacking of tolerances.......

A better question would be: Why did Glock design a .40 ejector when both rounds use small primers?

I am using gen 4 frames.

When you buy a trigger group it usually comes 9mm or .40 specific. Is the only thing different the ejector?

The reason why I asked:

I had a glock 35 lower stippled very nicely, has a superb trigger, mag release, and magwell. I was wanting to use this lower and switch out the slides. I have a g17, g22, g34 and g35 uppers. Do you think this would work or do I need to switch ejectors when I switch calipers?

Generally you would be ok using the 40 ejector and be fine with both calibers in gen 3. I DO NOT recommend using Gen3 9mm for Gen3 40 but gen 4 you would be ok as I can really not tell the difference in the gen 4 ejectors other than the number markings.

Edited by dskinsler83

It may be illegal, but none of the folks at local matches will care.

I also believe this would perfectly legal if you were not switching calibers.

Correct

That probably depends on where you are in the country.....
True, I am only speaking for my local club. The only way to tell if the frame and slide are from different caliber guns is to look up the sn though, right? So even if you have mismatched serial#s, it would be fine as long a they were both originally for the same caliber (or would it have to be the same model? )

My only perspective as a beginner is that nobody that is just getting started should be afraid to run what you have. I do not see any way these sort of mix UPS can provide any sort of competitive advantage. In this particular case, I can even imagine a shooter not realizing the slide and frame were miss matched, if they bought it used (maybe police trade in), or if they were cleaning their 17 and 34 at the same time, and put the wrong slide on the wrong frame.

In the same generation the 17/17L/22/24/31/34/35/37 use the same receiver.

Not the Gen2 40 or Gen2.5 as I say. There is a transition from 2 pin to 3 pin as they got into the 40 Caliber

Sorry yes the locking blocks being different is what I meant here BUT they will all still interchange slide barrel ect

I am aware of the change but I only see one of the old 2 pin Glocks about every 2 to 3 years.

I am going to upgrade a Gen 2 Glock for someone as soon as I receive the parts from Glock but I have only worked on Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks for several years now. I started phasing out all my Gen 3 Glocks as soon as the Gen 4 Glocks hit the market almost 5 years ago.

There seems to be a lot of bad info here... If you understand the nature of how the ejection system works, you wouldn't question the different sized ejectors at all. The .40's ejector allows more

Room for the casing, why? The casing is bigger. Pretty simple.

If you want to run a 35 slide on a 17, it's an easy swap, want to make it an 'all the way' swap? Just take out the rear pin, lift the trigger housing, and swap the ejector for a 40 ejector... It takes all of 2 minutes. And definitely improves the function of the weapon.

As far as legality, for a local match, I can't imagine anyone giving you trouble for mixed and matched slides and frames, also, there isn't a way to prove the lower is one caliber or another, so you couldn't even legally make the call that they were different. I think the different serial numbers is ridiculous, if they are looking that hard tell them to put you in limited, shoot the match and then find a new club. They won't even check that far at nationals. I think they are more referring to aftermarket frames and slides when they are talking about not using the OEM part.

Anyway, I hope you got the info you needed. Good luck, and stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by DreGarciaTAT2