Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm reloading help with clays powder

mic808

Mic808,

A crono has nothing to do with competing, and everything to do with being safe. its another tool that helps the reloader produce safe ammo that will fulfill the goal. It is as important as a set of reloading dies. Spend the 100 bucks on a Crony or a ProCrono and learn how to use it. As someone above said, Hodgdon doesn't even recommend using 147s with Clays, so that should be red flag. Sure, it can be done, and done safely, but not using a crono when developing loads is like shooting without sights on the gun.

jmho... :)

jj

my previous load was

powder: hodgdon clays 3.0gr

SPP: winchester spp

OAL: 1.124

Crimp: 0.376

Bullet: Xtreme 124 gr HP

my problem with these load wont cycle good. brass got stuck on slide and wont feed the next round.

mic-mic: @2A Hawaii

Not to be a jerk but do not work up unpublished loads with fast powder in 9mm without a chronograph. I shoot piles and piles of 135g coated with 3.2 ish of clays (in a cz) but the pressure rises quickly above that load so anything over 3.5 is to be handled carefully. As atlas says you need to sort out the recoil spring and you need to know what pf your at. Clays is extremely soft shooting powder with coated lead but I run a very light spring to take advantage of this. If you want soft loads you have the right powder if you want to cycle a stock Glock recoil spring get something slower. My data shows 3.3-3.4 as a test load should be fine with 124 but I would still use a lower spring so you can take advantage of the soft load. If your shooting competition you also need to consider if your making power factor. Shooting sub-minor for practice is pleasant but not really a good habit to get into if you want to get more serious down the road. Making pf with clays safely will usually require lead or coated bullets and a good length barrel.

Edited by inertia

I posted my load many times, I also use plated bullets thou Berry's.

3.6gr is what I came up with and I did chrono every load I settled on.

This is my Prod Div load:

OAL: 1.12"

powder: Clays

charge: 3.6gr

bullet: Berry's 124gr RN plated

PF: 129

I too use light 11# recoil spring in my gun but others shot my ammo with factory springs in diff guns and they all worked 100%.

I've never had any issues with the load as well as those who shot my ammo and we went thru about 50K rounds of that recipe.