Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

F%*k the loadmaster, XL650 on the way!

I am not sure what voodoo they are running with over at Lee, but my Loadmaster is truly a magician. Seriously, David Blaine ain't got sh*t on my Loadmaster.

It's favorite trick is making primers disappear, you see, and it's quite an infuriating trick.

It's second favorite magic trick is turning primers sideways even with a sizing die centering the case (amongst other "tricks").

The "Auto Powder Disk Dispenser" has a knack for dropping very crappy powder charges (if they drop at all) which require serious monitoring. Even still, I managed to crack the barrel on my 2011 due to bad ammo (my fault at the end of the day, but with how much monitoring i have to do it is not surprising one finally got past me...)

So yesterday, after yet another hair pulling loading session with a 20% or higher failure rate (which is actually getting pathetically expensive as far as primers are concerned) I had two options:

- Go postal,

- Scrap this POS and buy a proper loading setup

Both pure rage and impulsivity combined, and when I snapped out of it I was staring at an order confirmation from Brian's store for the following:

1 15164 Dillon 40 S&W Stainless Case Gage(@ $ 15.45 ea.) $15.45

1 21044 Powder Check System - 650/1050 only(@ $ 68.95 ea.) $68.95

1 20049 4-Pack Small Primer Pickup Tubes(@ $ 23.95 ea.) $23.95

1 16975 Dillon XL 650 in 40 S&W(@ $ 566.95 ea.) $566.95

1 11555 650 Toolholder with Wrench Set(@ $ 29.95 ea.) $29.95

1 17999 Bullet Puller (New Style, Berrys)(@ $ 29.95 ea.) $29.95

1 21146 650 Spare Pts Kit(@ $ 25.95 ea.) $25.95

1 21109 XL 650 Caliber Conv: 9mm/38 Super(@ $ 77.95 ea.) $77.95

1 15161 Dillon 9mm Stainless Case Gage(@ $ 15.45 ea.) $15.45

2 36831 650 Toolhead & Powder Die(@ $ 39.30 ea.) $78.60

1 20897 XL 650 Caliber Conv: 300 Blackout / Whisper(@ $ 77.95 ea.)
$77.95

Also purchased the Budget Reloader Case Feeder (one case feed plate to rule them all) as well as an "Ergo grip Roller Handle" off ebay and a proper spent primer chute/tube. I currently plan only to load 40sw/9mm/300blk on the 650.

Well, I've done it... I spent way more than I really wanted to, but I think the upfront costs will be worth it ultimately. If I can simply just have a press that reliably loads ammo I will be a happy camper, methinks I found the right press for the occasion.

Edited by nitrohuck

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It actually works great if you're willing to tinker with it a bit and are mechanically inclined or just get mikes reloading bench upgrades. I was lucky and mine primes like a champ out of the box.

Why would you buy that case feeder over a Dillon???????? Aren't you swapping FROM the Lee due to issues? Then you buy a "budget" case feeder? /facepalm

Actually did a good bit of research on it and people really seem to like the product. Even comes with a two year warranty over Dillon's 1 year warranty for electrical items.

Plus one case feed plate will do 9mm/40sw/300blk

If I had any indication it was not a quality product I would've happily bought the dillon feeder, but again, seems to actually be well liked by almost everyone who's used it.

It actually works great if you're willing to tinker with it a bit and are mechanically inclined or just get mikes reloading bench upgrades. I was lucky and mine primes like a champ out of the box.

mine used to... then things just started going down hill... no amount of messing with it seemed to improve anything, I admit I am not the best tinkerer. But at the end of the day it was inevitable that a Dillon would be on the horizon sooner or later,

mine used to... then things just started going down hill... no amount of messing with it seemed to improve anything, I admit I am not the best tinkerer. But at the end of the day it was inevitable that a Dillon would be on the horizon sooner or later,

Put about 10k rounds thru mine this year so far - not a huge number, but hopefully it'll keep chugging along.

Was supposed to arrive yesterday, and instead got bumped to today.

Now FedEx is a LOT later than they normally are.... murphy's laws in full effect ;)

Hoping any minute now :crosses fingers:

EDIT: the second I typed this post they showed up hah

Edited by nitrohuck

You are now assimilated.....you will feel an uncontrollable urge to load, do not fight it.

True words here. I shot a match yesterday and then came home and loaded 500 rounds. I just couldn't walk past the 550B for some reason :).

when that has happened to mine in the past, a 12$ part is what fixed it... the slider inside the primer trough got boogered up, new one had it priming like a champ

Edited by lucky13bullets

Holy toledo...

In all my research I overlooked one little aspect of the press/bench combo: the bench needs to have an overhang, whereas mine is completely squared up on the edge...

Well after relieving a good bit of wood from my bench I was finally able to mount the press and have full motion of the arm.

After a few minutes setting up everything I cranked out 100 trouble-free rounds of .40SW!!

I am a big fan of priming on the upstroke,

Stoked on the 650 so far! Casefeeder arrives tomorrow and will get to test it out then,

Edited by nitrohuck

If you buy/use the strong mount you do not need an overhang. it allows you to set the machine further back.

This definitely would've been a good option, except that I opted out of the strong mount due to my bench already being pretty high (I built it specifically for reloading and it comes up to about 44" or so). The strong mount looks like an awesome thing to have, but just didn't make sense for me.

The strong mount would've had me reaching for the sky with every pull of the lever and I am not even sure a casefeeder would fit at that point without hitting the ceiling

Sorry to hear that. I bought my machine without the strong mount and once I saw how the 650 mounted, I called and got the strong mount. It really does increase the surface area of the mounting location and seem to make it more stable. i was a doubter but once I got it I am a convert.

Why would you buy that case feeder over a Dillon???????? Aren't you swapping FROM the Lee due to issues? Then you buy a "budget" case feeder? /facepalm

Actually did a good bit of research on it and people really seem to like the product.

Lot of people seem to like load masters too...let us know how it works.

I never was a fan of the "strong" mount and didn't want make the top of my bench out of 1/2" steel plate but didn't want it to move either. So I eliminated the need for over hang by making a truss along the edges and drilling and tapping the top so presses were mounted where there was clearence back under the bench.

IMAG1210.jpg