Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you chrony your hand loads?

DuplexAlpha

I have used a Shooting Chrony Beta and a CED Prochrono I have lined them up and used them both at the same time and they are always withing 5 fps of each other. One is not consistently higher or lower, it just varies.

The important thing I have found is to use them in the SHADE. Direct sunlight gives CRAZY readings.

Yes, tripod is a must.

Prochrono from 10'.

Great chrono. Highly recommend it. Can be found online for >$100 shipped. They have very good customer service and support. Fantastic repair policy in case you ever shoot it by accident too.

Seems like hitting chronos is far more common than I thought. Out of curiosity, what is their repair policy like?

Prochrono from 10'.

Great chrono. Highly recommend it. Can be found online for >$100 shipped. They have very good customer service and support. Fantastic repair policy in case you ever shoot it by accident too.

Seems like hitting chronos is far more common than I thought. Out of curiosity, what is their repair policy like?
From their product website for the Prochrono:

”Non-warranty repair guarantee: Competition Electronics will not charge more than ½ the current retail price to repair any current model chronograph we manufacture regardless of its condition. "

So, basically $60 or less to repair/replace it if you accidentally shoot it.

https://www.competitionelectronics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=20&category_id=7

Prochrono from 10'.

From their product website for the Prochrono:

”Non-warranty repair guarantee: Competition Electronics will not charge more than ½ the current retail price to repair any current model chronograph we manufacture regardless of its condition. "

So, basically $60 or less to repair/replace it if you accidentally shoot it.

https://www.competitionelectronics.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=20&category_id=7

What about small parts such as an arm? Do you have to send it in to them just for a rod to connect to the screen? What about shipping charges, both ways?

The Caldwell smartphone function only works with Apple correct? I have a Samsung tablet I don't really use that I could easily designate to chrony usage. But android and all.

There is an android app for it. I think it works best with apple but there are people that have no issues with the android version. I have seen reports of folks having connectivity issues when trying to use tablets. I will say that the company, Battenfield, has been very helpful, if you contact them I bet they can tell you if your specific tablet would work or not. I was one of the first purchasers of the Caldwell Chrono and I had some connectivity issues at first, but it turned out to be a setting on my iphone(4S), but I called Battenfield, they put me in touch directly with a product engineer who was very helpful. He did mention apple products worked best since the software is all the same vs android type devices that can vary by manufacturer. I imagine now that they have been out for a while, the app has been updated a few times, the compatibility issues should be going down.

The Caldwell smartphone function only works with Apple correct? I have a Samsung tablet I don't really use that I could easily designate to chrony usage. But android and all.

There is an android app for it. I think it works best with apple but there are people that have no issues with the android version. I have seen reports of folks having connectivity issues when trying to use tablets. I will say that the company, Battenfield, has been very helpful, if you contact them I bet they can tell you if your specific tablet would work or not. I was one of the first purchasers of the Caldwell Chrono and I had some connectivity issues at first, but it turned out to be a setting on my iphone(4S), but I called Battenfield, they put me in touch directly with a product engineer who was very helpful. He did mention apple products worked best since the software is all the same vs android type devices that can vary by manufacturer. I imagine now that they have been out for a while, the app has been updated a few times, the compatibility issues should be going down.

The biggest 'trick' here is making sure your device has the microphone input enabled on the port.

Meanwhile, it still isn't working properly with my rooted/now-Android HP Touchpad, but works fine on my Samsung Galaxy (Android) phone, other than sometimes it takes a reset or two to get initially connected, after which I can use it (and have) all day long without issues. Android variants aren't always the most intuitive/user-friendly to even *find* various settings/options, so going to give the Touchpad another shot sooner or later..