Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Similarities between CZ's and Sphinxes

EatsEverything

My take on the gun after owning it for a little while and running about 500 rounds through it.

DA/SA is very nice, but the takeup in SA is a little bit much. My main issue, the groups are great, but everything is down and to the left of POA around 2" at 10 yards, and even more so at 20-25 yards. While I am able to adjust for shooting left, as there are no other sights available, the only thing I could do would be to file an already short front sight down.

I had two friends shoot the gun with the pretty much the same results.

In speaking with CGW, the spring kits he offers will improve the DA, but will do nothing for the takeup of the SA and does not see any way around it. Some of the issues we were discussing are some of the common complaints he has heard on the pistol.

Having the gun shooting low is an issue for me, so I called Kriss. They quickly responded with an RMA for repair, but they expected me to pay for the return shipping. I nicely explained to customer service, that I did not find this to be acceptable. This is a new pistol, that is not exactly low priced, and they were the first factory/importer I have ever dealt with that expected me to pay for a return for something that has an issue with the function. They relented and sent me a return label.

Personally, I find it abhorant they would expect me to pay the cost of return shipping for repair.

Not sure how long repair will actually take or what they will do to correct the problem, but will update this thread once it is received back from Kriss.

Edited by PalmBeach1

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PalmBeach1, Have you gotten it back from Kriss yet and did they fix the issue? Mine shoots just about like I like it right out of the box.

Unfortunately, have not received it back yet. They have had it about a month.

Received shipping information this morning, so it is on the way back to me.

Will update when I have a chance to shoot it again.

• 4 weeks later...

shot an SDP compact with alloy frame. it felt fabulous in hand! placed an order for a full stainless SDP Compact. eagerly await arrival, but it could be a little while. fingers crossed. in the meantime, shooting my CZC Shadow.

• 3 weeks later...

Since this thread seems to attract both CZ and Sphinx fans, does anyone know why CGW will no longer work on Sphinx? David posted a terse message that they will no longer perform gunsmithing on Sphinx, although they will continue to offer their springs, etc. I'm concerned that this is one more problem that can be ascribed to the US Sphinx importer (Kriss).

They are beautifully built. I like my subcompact and it works very nicely for a lefty. I'm looking forward to somebody actually making a nice holster for it--milt sparks is waiting on a gun to use as a mold--but the lack of currently available holsters and spare parts is a concern.

Kriss USA has not been overly impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a post by David on the original CZ forum where he answers this question - he basically says they are too time consuming to work on. I guess some of the pins and such have to be pressed out and it is just too much of a hassle and I assume he can make more money working on CZs since they are easier and faster to do. I'd bet there is a higher danger of messing one up if it slips in a press as well.

I'll bet he will still work on one for a premium price...

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I saw that too. They also made a couple comments on facebook about big announcements at Shot Show. I'm hoping it has to do with the full size.

i spoke to Krystl and Sphinx not too long ago and she said that the Duty size were available (same as SDP Compact, but with full size grip for 17 rnd magazines) and that the Full size will be available this year.

Yeah, I saw that too. They also made a couple comments on facebook about big announcements at Shot Show. I'm hoping it has to do with the full size.

i spoke to Krystl and Sphinx not too long ago and she said that the Duty size were available (same as SDP Compact, but with full size grip for 17 rnd magazines) and that the Full size will be available this year.

Is that the only difference between the Compact and Compact Duty (slightly longer grip and 2 more rounds in Duty)?

Is that the only difference between the Compact and Compact Duty (slightly longer grip and 2 more rounds in Duty)?

correct. longer grip to hold 2 more rounds.

soon to come will be the full size.

Dear Merion1930

Would it be too much to ask you to post some pictures from the 18rd magazine in the Sphinx so I see how well it fits ? And some pics of the back side of the magazine ?

I own an SDP standard duotone and needed additional magazines, so I was checking prices and fit of CZ and Mec Gar

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My take on the gun after owning it for a little while and running about 500 rounds through it.

DA/SA is very nice, but the takeup in SA is a little bit much. My main issue, the groups are great, but everything is down and to the left of POA around 2" at 10 yards, and even more so at 20-25 yards. While I am able to adjust for shooting left, as there are no other sights available, the only thing I could do would be to file an already short front sight down.

I had two friends shoot the gun with the pretty much the same results.

In speaking with CGW, the spring kits he offers will improve the DA, but will do nothing for the takeup of the SA and does not see any way around it. Some of the issues we were discussing are some of the common complaints he has heard on the pistol.

Having the gun shooting low is an issue for me, so I called Kriss. They quickly responded with an RMA for repair, but they expected me to pay for the return shipping. I nicely explained to customer service, that I did not find this to be acceptable. This is a new pistol, that is not exactly low priced, and they were the first factory/importer I have ever dealt with that expected me to pay for a return for something that has an issue with the function. They relented and sent me a return label.

Personally, I find it abhorant they would expect me to pay the cost of return shipping for repair.

Not sure how long repair will actually take or what they will do to correct the problem, but will update this thread once it is received back from Kriss.

Dear Merion1930

Would it be too much to ask you to post some pictures from the 18rd magazine in the Sphinx so I see how well it fits ? And some pics of the back side of the magazine ?

I own an SDP standard duotone and needed additional magazines, so I was checking prices and fit of CZ and Mec Gar

Thanks

Hi Quailhunter, unfortunately I sold my Sphinx when I jumped in to USPSA with both feet. I had to fund these CZs & Tanfos somehow! It was no reflection on the SDP which is a best in class 9mm in my opinion.

Congrats on the Standard Duo Tone, I'm happy to know they really exist. I gave up searching / waiting for Kriss to deliver full size models 6 months ago. I hope you're able to get an answer on CZ mag comparability with the Standard frame.

Hello Everyone,

• Latest updates from SHOT Show 2016
  • The Sphinx SDP Standard we had on display has an aluminum grip (17rd.) and an aluminum upper frame.

-At this time we still do not have an ETA or price point for US sales.

-I personally haven't had a chance yet to try out different mags, but the same holds true for the standard as is it does with the compact. Make sure that the rear of the magazine does not hit the ejector on the sear cage or else it could/may cause damage to your ejector.

-Joe