Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another purchase question

67Stingray

New member here, never owned a 1911, and the timing of the "any advice before purchase" was perfect. Thanks to all. I read all the reviews for the SA Range Officer as I have also been looking to get one of those in 9mm. Price is slightly higher though at a LGS.

Just when I thought I had decided, someone was looking to sell a used STI Trojan 9mm that is in very good shape. I haven't seen it but I should get to see it soon.

Assuming all is working well and the gun is clean and well maintained, which way would be the best to go?

I shoot some USPSA and 3 gun with a Sig 226 but I am not really competitive nor am I expecting to be. (too old to be starting) Mostly just fun and practice.

Price ends up pretty close.

The RO looks to be a classic some day.

Looking for pros and cons for both, also what issues/problems to look for in the STI. I do not know what has been done to it yet.

What do I check for in the STI?

Any help appreciated.

I wish. I had a 66 convertible with a 350 that I built years ago. I always wanted to get a 67. Maybe some day. There is a 67 427 coupe a few blocks away. Beautiful. Original blue. The forum would not let me enter 66stingray so I picked my favorite one instead.

If your budget will allow, look for a Dan Wesson PM9.

There are about ten of us at my range that compete with them on a weekly basis, and we all do quite well with them; very reliable and accurate.

They are an amazing deal for the money.

I would highly suggest any STI, especially the Trojan. While I don't own one in 9mm I do own a Trojan .40 that I love very much. The fit and finish of the STI is very nice, lock up is tight, and groups very tight. If you get a chance to play with the Trojan before you buy great, but if not I doubt you will be anything less than amazed by it.

Plus it doesn't hurt that STI has great customer service from what I've heard, I've never had to use it though.

If you have any questions about the Trojan let me know, good luck with your purchase!

Brian

I'm an older guy who enjoys 1911/2011 pistols have several one of my favorite is an STI Trojan in 9mm. Fun little gun to shoot and mine has lot's

of rounds through it. There is a reason more times than not custom pistols are built on the STI platform. You should plan on spending a bit on any

1911 to get it tuned the way you want and maybe refinished. Once tuned the pistol will hold up for a long time and give you years of enjoyment.

I had mine hard chromed and the finish has held up very well. Slide to frame fit is still tight. Went with an Ed Brown magazine extended magazine

release and magazine well. Dawson front sight ambi thumb safety's. Spent some time finding main and recoil springs that worked well with my loads.

Ended up 15 lb mainspring and a 10 lb recoils spring.

I like the under cut below the trigger guard on the Trojan and the pistol points and has excellent balance. Little tricky to get the gun to work

and run on magazines. I use Wilson 10 round and removed two coils from the magazine springs had the barrel throated and a trigger job, able to use

the STI trigger group parts with just a little stoning. Magazines on any 1911 remove the slide and with pressure on the base of the magazine be

sure the feed lips do not hit the extractor. If it hits it will break the extractor. Metalform is another good magazine several Trojan shooters

local had good results out of the box.

Said more than I should but would take the STI Trojan over the Range Officer.

I know more than one Enos shooter have experienced tumbling/accuracy issues with the RO in 9. It appears it can be helped by loading long and/or using jacketed bullets.

The Trojans are great. I'd lean that way. ROs seem nice but having a 9mm load exclusively for that gun may or may not be a hassle for you.