Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad day at the range yesterday - Edge goes KABOOM

rottenit

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either the bullet was pushed back into the case during normal chambering or a round left part of of the jacket or part of the case in the chamber throat pushing the bullet back into the case.

I've encountered this problem twice with Freedom Munitions ammo out of 2 or 3 thousand rounds purchased. Fortunately for me I caught the problem before I loaded them in mags.

Basically reloaded brass from an ammo company.

Thanks. I thought that might be the case. So I assume the history of the brass is known? In the end, the fact it was factory reloaded, rather than new brass, shouldnt be very relevant should it? The QC at the factory seems to be left wanting in this case.

Its sobering to think this kind of failure can happen with factory loads. I took a closer look at my ammo this morning before my comp.

A lesson learned for me at someone elses expense. Im very pleased to hear the OP came out of this in one peice and look forward to hearing the end of the story.

Gary.

Just be glad it was a 19/2011 over a polymer gun. Ive seen a few glocks and a XD cook off and the result to the shooter is never as friendly as this looks like it was. I for one am always a little hesitant to run reloads of any kind in polymer guns, even my own.

Basically reloaded brass from an ammo company.

Thanks. I thought that might be the case. So I assume the history of the brass is known?

Gary.

From what I have heard....not all the time is the history of the brass known.. Some places actually allow you to send in your fired brass to receive a discount.

Edited by pointblanktx

I would think that this was more likely an over/double-charge. You would have to have the bullet pushed WAAAAY back in the case to make something like this happen. And, you would need a REALLY stout powder charge at max pressure (+P+) for this to be caused by "set-back". I'm glad that STI is willing to help, but I hate that they may get stuck with this. Good on them for sure!

• 3 weeks later...

Soooo the ammo MFR offered to pay for the repairs to the gun provided I sign a release that binds me from discussing it. I'm having a lawyer look it over. They feel pretty strongly that it was an issue with the brass.

Sign the NDA, and take your new gun. Glad it's working out.

As far as setback goes, checking your OAL before loading doesn't automatically protect you. When the slide drives a new round into the chamber, the bullet hitting the feedramp or the top of of the chamber before straightening back out can knock the bullet back in if there is insufficient case tension. It can be perfectly fine before you load the magazine, and end up set back (hence the term 'setback') further into the case after going into battery.

I for one am always a little hesitant to run reloads of any kind in polymer guns, even my own.

Your barrel, chamber and breech face contain the pressures under combustion, and those are steel regardless of what the rest of the gun is made of. Polymer pistols are not inherently weaker than steel or alloy ones in this regard.

I for one am always a little hesitant to run reloads of any kind in polymer guns, even my own.

Your barrel, chamber and breech face contain the pressures under combustion, and those are steel regardless of what the rest of the gun is made of. Polymer pistols are not inherently weaker than steel or alloy ones in this regard.

I think he is saying that if the barrel chamber and breech face give way to a rupture, a metal framed gun would offer more protection to your hand and chest than a polymer framed gun.

I think he is saying that if the barrel chamber and breech face give way to a rupture, a metal framed gun would offer more protection to your hand and chest than a polymer framed gun.

That would also be incorrect. Polymer flexes quite a bit more than steel or aluminum and is more likely to absorb the shockwave of a kaboom and not send pieces into your hand.

Of course, most metal frames are open under the grip panels, so the grip material is likely to be the deciding factor.

The couple 1911's ive seen blow all look like that. The glocks seem to blow out the bottom and direct the energy into your hand. Perhaps this is because the fully supported camber vs. Not? Thats my only reasoning. I see your point, but this 2011 also has a polymer grip below the chamber an directed the energy up and away more than most pistols would and that I am certain was because its a hunk of metal with a weaker structure above. No matter this makes me want to wear gloves and NEVER skimp on eyepro!

I have seen a double charge absolutely destroy a .44 magnum revolver from factory ammo made really south of here. It blew the cylinder right through the top of the backstrap. As far as I remember, two revolvers in this area were blown up. The point being double charges are rare, but do happen and result in close calls. How you double charge a .44 is beyond me, but for us who reload its a reminder to be very cautious and pay attention to what we do.

Glasses, glasses, glasses. We could all live without a finger or two, but to lose your sight is a nightmare to be avoided, don't scrimp on the eye protection.

I have seen a double charge absolutely destroy a .44 magnum revolver from factory ammo made really south of here. It blew the cylinder right through the top of the backstrap. As far as I remember, two revolvers in this area were blown up. The point being double charges are rare, but do happen and result in close calls. How you double charge a .44 is beyond me, but for us who reload its a reminder to be very cautious and pay attention to what we do.

Glasses, glasses, glasses. We could all live without a finger or two, but to lose your sight is a nightmare to be avoided, don't scrimp on the eye protection.

Scary thing I didnt mention was earlier in the day when I was shooting groups with that gun and ammo I was flipping my safety glasses up to look down the spotting scope a couple of times I forgot to flip them back down. Its easy to get lazy with safety.

So another update!

In an unexpected twist STI warranted the gun. I was very up front with them about what happened the STI rep that I spoke with said it would not be covered by warrantee but the gun came today looked at the invoice and its a warrantee repair. Not sure how I feel about this, it wasn't there issue.

STI and your ammo company worked out something behind the scenes that makes everyone happy?

Either way, STI just did you a solid. Be happy and remember that come next purchase time. Truth be told, I'm sure I'll remember this at some future purchase time, as well, as will many others. Trust me -- STI is getting paid for being the good guy in one way or another. ;)

STI and your ammo company worked out something behind the scenes that makes everyone happy?

Either way, STI just did you a solid. Be happy and remember that come next purchase time. Truth be told, I'm sure I'll remember this at some future purchase time, as well, as will many others. Trust me -- STI is getting paid for being the good guy in one way or another. ;)

I don't think so like I said the documentation said it was warrantee repair, i'm thinking they were just being nice.

I'm guessing they have earned a customer for life?

Already one of them I own a few STI's!

My glock 40 did that

I shoot a Glock myself. Without wishing to hijack this thread, I'd be interested to hear about that and see some pix if you have them