Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Pro 100 Questions

John C

I've seen references to the Case Pro 100, and looked at the website. I get what it does, and it seems to me that the key thing is that it makes case length more uniform. But, I still have a few questions:

1) Does it fully resize the case? Or do cases need to be FL sized after a trip through the Case Pro?

2) I seen oblique references that .45 ACP brass doesn't benefit as much from the Case Pro compared to other, higher pressure cartridges like 9mm, .38 super, .40 and 10mm. Is this true? I primarily load/shoot .45. Would I benefit from a Case Pro?

Thanks,

-John

I think most use them for removing the bulge near the base of the case v. overall case length.

You will have to use the sizing die afterwards as it doesn't have much, if any effect on the mouth of the case. Its too thin and it just bounces back to its pre rolled, fired shape.

I wouldn't bother with .45 unless you're having a good % of your reloads that won't chamber and fire for some reason that can't be remedied in another way.

Thank you, fellas, for the info. I'm not really having malfunctions with my current process. I am more concerned with returning cases to their original overall length for more uniform headspace. I understood, perhaps erroneously, that the shortening of fired pistol cases was due to this bulge (the brass in the bulge has to come from somewhere). But, it sounds like I'm not having the problems this is meant to address.

I'm shooting mild target loads in well supported chambers. I guess this is for brass from hot loads fired in poorly supported chambers? I guess I can see how 9mm or .38 super major loads would need this.

Thanks,

-John

I don't have one but my understanding was its like a push thru GRX die for all calibers. If you are not having problems with the way you do it now I wouldn't worry about it. But if you already had one and you could make sure all you brass is the same it might be worth it to run it all just to avoid issues.

RIggerJJ:

What problems were you having that caused you to get/use a Case Pro 100?

Also, doesn't rolling cartridge brass in the Case Pro cause the brass to lengthen back to the original length? I figured the extra brass would have to go somewhere, namely to case length. It wouldn't be the first time I was mistaken, though.

I have never notice any length change.

I started using casepros around the time I got my first SMG, makes brass useable that a normal sizing die cannot because they do not size all the way down. Without a casepro almost all of my rounds that would not pass a case gauge, failed because of an imperfection on the rim. A normal sizing die cannot fix this part of the case because it is inside the shell plate.

Edited by jmorris

I went with a CasePro to roll 9mm brass for major. As mentioned above, it reshapes the rim and sizes all the way down virtually eliminating malfunctions in my 9 major guns. I like it so much that I purchased additional dies and now roll all my brass.

• 3 months later...

I'm shooting 9 major and just ordered a case pro. I was told, by someone at a match, that the 9mm die will also work for 38 Super and Super comp. Can anyone confirm or deny that statement?

I do shoot 38 SC on occasion and would like to be able to run them as well.

Thank you,

Rick

I'm shooting 9 major and just ordered a case pro. I was told, by someone at a match, that the 9mm die will also work for 38 Super and Super comp. Can anyone confirm or deny that statement?

I do shoot 38 SC on occasion and would like to be able to run them as well.

Thank you,

Rick

No - There are separate dies for 38super & supercomp.

I have been using one since the mid 90s when they first came out. You do not have to use it every time, I always ran them through if going to a match. It is a great piece of equipment. I mounted it next to my 1050 so I can rotate the case feeder 180 degrees and use it feed the case pro. It reshapes the rim as well as removing any bulging which should restore length a little but I have never measured the length. I use it on