Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a better way to sort brass?

HotLoad

Ok I have most of my loading dialed in from the press and cleaning to using a casepro and such but the one step that sucks the most for me is sorting brass and this seems to take up way more time than it should. I have no problem spending money to help this process along. Does anyone know of a good and reliable machine for sorting brass that is under say 700 bones. FYI I do have the sorting trays that are used with 5 gallon buckets and they help but I want something smoother and less time consuming.

Thanks Jeff

Short of the uber-dollar sorter which looks dang nice I have found the best way to sort brass is at the range. If I am only shooting one caliber I go through the handfull of cases people picking up brass return to me after a stage and make sure I only put "my" caliber in the brass bag. If I am shooting multiple calibers I bring a brass bag for each. In the total time spent you don't save anything but you can do this in little bitty slices of time between stages rather than the eons it takes sorting a 5 gallon bucket of mixed brass at once. Been there, done that..... hated it!

jmorris if you could come up with a smaller home version of your machine I would be 1st in line. That thing looks straight out of mad max, I love it!!! If I could bulk sort brass I would have much less of an issue looking for cases inside cases.

J

J morris you got plans/instructions on how to build that? what did it cost you as well?

The most details are in this thread. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11364&hl=%20brass%20%20sorter&page=2

I spent less than $100 building it (not counting beer) but I already had almost everything laying around. I bought two gears, four set collars and four bushings, the rest is stuff my wife would call "junk".

Edited by jmorris