Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Casepro 100

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my machine yesterday, and set it up right away. It is working as advertized, it has new style power drive.

One question - since the dies have precision ground finish, they imprint it on the brass - could they be polished? Does it make sense?

I presume a tumbler will remove most of it, but do you roll size before you tumble, or after?

post-21305-0-55080200-1417275341_thumb.j

post-21305-0-81952100-1417275446_thumb.j

Edited by Foxbat

I would not polish the dies on a CasePro...I think they need the friction of the ground finish to move the case from the drop position and engage them into the "business" part of the die.

JMHO

jj

Eta; I tumble clean before roll sizing, and after loading to remove lube applied for the sizing die on the loader.

Edited by RiggerJJ

If the brass is not too nasty we just shake it clean with the sorting trays and then roll it. I then throw it in the tumbler. The cleaning also takes the marks off the brass. It also gets taken off when you tumble it after lubing. It is not rocket science, Just try it and figure out what works best for you.

DougC

Question - I am getting way too many cases jammed in the feeder, failing to drop. I have four other identical feeders on my presses, and they almost never miss the bit.

Here it happens very often, at least once every 10-15 minutes.

Is this the Case Pro motion that is causing this? Anyone had similar issue? How was it resolved? I am considering mounting the feeder to a separate, stable base - do you think that should solve it?

If the collator is shaking it won't work. Make a stronger bench or mount the collator to the wall.

The bench is super-strong, and anchored to the walls and floor, but the whole Case Pro shakes, and the collator is mounted to it, so I will try it mounted to the bench.

The bench is super-strong, and anchored to the walls and floor, but the whole Case Pro shakes, and the collator is mounted to it, so I will try it mounted to the bench.

Do you have a photo of your setup, I am not sure I understand how you have yours mounted.

If a case pro were mounted solid to a solid bench the casting would have to break for it to shake.

The one I posted above is only mounted on 1/8" steel plate with the case feeder post welded right next to it.

Neither move or shake in operation.

Video.

http://vid121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/casepro/casepro.mp4

The Case Pro, if you buy it with autodrive, comes on composite base, which is flexible. It has rubber feet under it. The case feeder post is bolted to the middle of it, so the whole construction is rather non-rigid. When the machine encounters a difficult case (no pun), for instance, when there is a media particle there, the base flexes some, and there is a shock.

I already separated the two, I mounted the feeder to the shelf above, and yet I still got a jam after maybe ten minutes.

Here is the photo of the system as it comes.

post-21305-0-06448700-1417898224_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

The Case Pro, if you buy it with autodrive, comes on composite base, which is flexible. It has rubber feet under it. The case feeder post is bolted to the middle of it, so the whole construction is rather non-rigid. When the machine encounters a difficult case (no pun), for instance, when there is a media particle there, the base flexes some, and there is a shock.

I already separated the two, I mounted the feeder to the shelf above, and yet I still got a jam after maybe ten minutes.

Here is the photo of the system as it comes.

Did you figured out what is causing the case jam?

Since I decoupled the case feeder from the Case Pro base, it's been far more stable, with the frequency of jams about the same as on my other feeders.

BTW - what exactly is the role of that sheet metal thing, covering the left edge of the case feeder drop hole? It is very crudely cut, with sharp corners, and on all the feeders I have it is pushed all the way to the left - is this just the edge protector? I did not see any mention of it in the manuals.

I presume you are running the case feeder at High speed?

The speed it runs at is OK with me, I only shoot 500-600 rounds a week, so it doesn't take all that long to roll them.

It seems to me the case feeders tend to become more stable with some breaking in, at least that is my impression. The 4 others, that I have had for years, had some early issues, but since then I forgot about that, they have been running close to 100% reliably.

Do you have your Case Pro feeder mounted to its base? Is that the plastic base, as they use now, or some special, very rigid?

Edited by Foxbat

I too might make a heavy steel base one day, but for now the machine is OK as it is. I know - once I make new base, I will replace the motor too, and then something else - there is never an end. :(