Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 recoil spring weight

762rocstarr

Too light a spring and the gun will beat itself to death. Spring weight depends on the velocity of the ammo you are shooting. The hotter the ammo, the heavier the spring. Generally, a 14# spring is a good choice. If you want to set the gun up for USPSA the video below will give you a good idea how to and why.

Pat

Edited by Pat Miles

If you spring the gun correctly you don't need a shock buff. Just one more thing to cause problems. Some folks spring their guns too light and then use a buff to make up for it. Eventually the buff gets chewed up from the pounding it takes and comes apart causing problems at the wrong time.

Pat

Thanks for the responses. That video was very helpful! I think I will try an 11 with a buffer. I'm shooting Major 200gr swc and 4.5 grains of V310. Thoughts?

That's full power. You could drop down a bit and still make major.

I'd go with a 17 lb. spring. Shock buff won't hurt a thing.

Thanks for the responses. That video was very helpful! I think I will try an 11 with a buffer. I'm shooting Major 200gr swc and 4.5 grains of V310. Thoughts?

That's full power. You could drop down a bit and still make major.

I'd go with a 17 lb. spring. Shock buff won't hurt a thing.

I think its going to depend on your barrel. In my gun, that load just barely makes major PF. I have to go to 4.7 gr of N310 to get 170-ish PF. A friend of mine using that same load got 180 PF and had to drop it down to 4.4 grs for 170 PF.

For my load I run a 13 lb recoil (no shok-buff) and an 18 lb mainspring.