Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun pump

bigkyle72

At my last local 3 gun match there was a relatively low round count for shotgun so I decided to take out my 870 because I haven't shot it in quite a while. I forgot how much I like to shoot pumps and know I want a dedicated pump 3 gun shotgun!! Im assuming 870 isnt going to be the best best for 3 gun so I was wondering what people are using? 870 was my first firearm and the only experience I have ever had with pumps is the 870 so I dont know what my other options are. I was wondering though, I noticed that I have my nordic spring cut 8" past the tube with the cap off but it is still really hard to but my 8th shell in there, should I cut it down more? I'm worried that there wont be enough spring tension to push the last round out if I cut it too much.

Thanks!

-Kyle

I use a Nova pump. Others use the Super Nova. If you like your 870 then go with that.

Nordic springs are cheap. Buy one to experiment with and see how long it really needs to be to get reliable feeding of the last round.

Many use the super nova as mentioned above and as far as the extension it might be hard to put in because the extension isn't quite long enough and with the variability of shell length from brand and type of shell it may not always fit the last shell period. My rule of thumb is to allow for at least an extra inch and a half of space after that last shell goes in. On my 12 round tube I left my spring uncut so I am not running right on the edge of functioning and not. Depending on what extesion you have there might be +1 or +2 end caps availabled tp give ypu a little extra space.

I use the Nova with a Limbsaver pad on it. Works really slick for loading with the gate staying up in between shells. My sxp I was going to use but it had 2 bumps in the factory mag tube that catch a plug and keep the spring captured. You could file them off I'm sure and add an extension I just didn't want to mess with it.

Edited by TyinTX

No one mentions the sxp, which is slick as hell.

Yep.

I run the Heavy Metal Limited division, which requires a 12-ga pump, and use a Winchester SXP with 28" barrel and Nordic Components +6 tube for a 10+1 gun.

Nothing cycles faster than the Winchester.

It took a long time with that damn file to get the bumps out of the factory tube so that I could use the extension. I had the same problem with my Remington 11-87, too, but I just drilled those ones out a long time ago.

Edited by MAC702

The SXP is an excellent choice for a pump shotty. The only real reason the Super Nova is preferred over the SXP is because of reload speed. Nothing pumps faster than an SXP/1300, but nothing loads faster than a Super Nova... Except an open gun. In terms of time, you might be able to get .01 splits advantage with the SXP, but you will be a second or two faster for every 8 shells reloaded, with the Super Nova. With non open division shotguns, reload speed will beat out splits all day long.

The SXP is an excellent choice for a pump shotty. The only real reason the Super Nova is preferred over the SXP is because of reload speed. Nothing pumps faster than an SXP/1300, but nothing loads faster than a Super Nova...

I believe this. One of these days, I'll reload fast enough to maybe reconsider the difference.

And this may sound weird, but one of the big reasons why I went with the SXP over the Super Nova was because the SXP was the only one I could find with a wood stock. I use a wood-stocked M1A, and at the time was using a wood-stocked 1911. I wanted a wood-stocked shotgun!

Now I'm trying to figure out how to put wood grips on a Glock 41...

One other thing I looked at, though honestly don't know what real-world difference it makes, it that I did NOT want a gun that would fit 3-1/2" shells. I see no need to pump that far when the gun will never need to do it for me.

How come the Super nova loads so much faster then the rest of the shotguns?

The 3.5" feed port, the angle and position of the lifter when pushed against the bottom of the bolt carrier and the fact that the lifter stays up during loading, make it extra easy to get the shells into the hole. The feed port can be opened up aggressively and even the shell catch requires very little tuning to make loading shells extremely smooth and fast. It's true that you have to pump the gun a little further and there is a risk of short stroking, but everyone has to put a couple thousand shells down range before they don't suck anyways. By the time you get good at shooting the gun, you will be good at pumping the gun too. If you really want, both Trapr Swanson and Pat Kelly have mods to help with short stroking. Honestly though... I just go shoot. Nothing wrong with an SXP. It's a quality gun that will last a long time. If that floats your boat and gets you amp'd and out to the range then rock on. If you are willing to put in the hours at reloading practice to get good at stuffing shells into the platform, it will serve you well.

MAC702: Wood grips on a 41, because everyone wants the Glock to be juuuussst a bit fatter, right?

Exactly. I even played around with some wood-grained tape, just to be funny. You can tell the difference. I'm thinking paint!

I ran a Winchester 1300 for a number of years, I only switched because I started dual and quad loading... that being said, split wise, I can run my 1300 almost as fast as my semi-auto... pump is not a disadvantage in time shot wise, semi's just tend to be wider and be better for loading. Nothing is faster than a winchester pump... they are slick for sure

Edited by mulrick