Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 550 b came today

My new 550 b arrived today and I mounted it along side the other one. Pretty nice set up. Used a combination of Dillon and Inline Fabrication parts ( won't talk about those on this sub forum). While I was ordering another 550, I decided to upgrade some things on the old one. When I reloaded before, I had it set up on a desk which is the way I bought it. This time I used a strong mount on my bench, but that was really the only accessory. So I added on a bullet tray and an empty case bin. Should make things easier for me. Oh, I had put on the tool holder which was a great accessory. So much easier to find my hex wrenches. It is amazing how often you use them.

Congrats on the press, I am loving mine. After getting it set up, I have less time on it than the press its replacing and I have loaded multiple more rounds on the 550.

So much easier to find my hex wrenches. It is amazing how often you use them.

I tired to read up on this before ordering the press. After buying some tools at the Hardware store to keep with the press, I returned them and bought the Dillon set because they had a holder and stay organized. The cost was about the same, but living with them is much easier!

Loaded some 40's on the new press today. Having a little trouble getting the paper clip like thing adjusted correctly on station 1. Cases want to slip out. Got a few crushed cases at station 2. Was better when I had station 1 running better. Might need to tighten shell plate a little. Not sure. Got some loaded rounds that would not fit the case gauge. Upon inspection it looks like they have a bulge at the bottom of the case. It seems like when I had a similar type problem with 45's the crimp was too much. However, I checked the crimp and it was .4205, which is what I think I had it when using the other press and had no problems with the 40's. I will need to research this a bit. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. This is the first time I have used a roller handle (in this case and ergo handle from Inline Fabrication). Boy, have I been missing out. It seemed like the whole loading effort was much easier. Maybe it was just the new machine or wishful thinking, but seemed easier.

Make sure your sizing die is adjusted properly. It should just about touch the shell plate. That will allow it to size the case closer to the head which should help remove the bulge in the brass. You crimp should only be enough to remove the flare.

.40 caliber is the domain of the Glock bulge. People speak of it in other calibers but it is primarily a .40 issue. I recommend the push through die on a cheap single stage press to get the .40 brass sized properly.

One of the interesting things about this is that this is the same tool head and dies just transferred from the old press to the new press (the old press will be used for large primers while the new one for small primers). The bulge on the 40's is new,did not have it before. I am using the EGW U die in the first station. Maybe I will try adjusting the sizing die. If that doesn't fix it, I do have a Partner single stage that is to be used for sizing bullets after I cast them. What push through sizing die is recommended?

Did some googling - only found Redding that comes in regular or carbide. Big price difference! Is the carbide needed? I think all my Dillon handgun dies are carbide.

Edited by bigarm

I adjusted the resizing die and the crimp die and only had one round fail to fit in the case gauge out of 200. Did have a few without primers. Oh well, much improved.

Check that the knurled nut on the top of the primer tube is not too tight. If it is it will push down and pinch the inner primer tube and restrict them. Also check that the inner tube is seated correctly. I f you slowly turn it you will feel it drop into the notch at the bottom.