Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

E3 115g and 147g Chronograph Results

ZackJones

Did a few chronograph runs today with my M&P Pro 9mm (5" barrel) and Glock 19. We have a GSSF match here next month and I may try shooting it. Normally I run 10 round strings but for some reason the chronograph was being dumb and I didn't get 10 rounds recorded but did get at least 5 shots for each load shown which should be good enough. Accuracy wise - they all hit the berm and made dirt fly so I'm very please with that aspect :).

Blue 115g over 3.8g of E3 at 1.135

Glock 19

Avg Velocity: 1092

Avg Power Factor: 125

Std Dev: 14

ES: 45

Blue 115g over 3.8g of E3 at 1.135

M&P

Avg Velocity: 1117

Avg Power Factor: 128

Std Dev: 10.8

ES: 30

Blue 147g over 3.0g of E3 at 1.135

Glock 19

Avg Velocity: 881

Avg Power Factor: 129

Std Dev: 3

ES: 7

Blue 147g over 3.0g of E3 at 1.135

M&P

Avg Velocity: 890

Avg PF: 130

Std Dev: 9.9

ES: 32

For once I noticed a big difference between 9mm loads. I guess my hands are finally getting calibrated enough that I can tell the difference between a 115g at 1100 FPS compared to a 147g at 900 FPS.

I assume the "Blue" is a polymer coated lead bullet?

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. These bullets are from Blue Bullets out of North Carolina.

I'll bet you did!

Try switching back and forth between 115s at 175pf and 147s at 130pf :)

No thanks! I'll stick with my 130 PF loads :).

so 1 extra inch of barrel and basically get the same velocity out of both gun? i think the E3 is getting consumed way early in the 5" barrel. I am kinda slowly moving away from the fast burners in longer barrels for this reason.

What powder are you looking to switch to? I need to do the same test with Bullseye, Red Dot, and TiteGroup as I have those powders available.

Say it! Say you liked the 147's better. The GSSF plates will laugh at the 115 loads.

I do like the 147's better. I think I'm more conditioned to the push recoil impulse versus a snappy one.

I'm toying with the idea of seeing how low I can go with a powder charge and still have it cycle my gun. It would be interesting to see just how light of a load I could come up with for steel challenge.